Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Gave up and bought something else

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

PeteB

Standard Member
Reaction score
As requested - gauge level of problems with 36ZP38

i'm not 100% happy though, the tv cost me 1500.00 and does have its problems.
the dirty screen effect is awful!
dvd pictures through component cable are excellent though.
took ages to find the right picture settings but after a little help from this forum i found a picture i liked using picture mode 3 (disable smv).
i do feel a little short changed thouh, i don't know what i expected but maybe i set my sights a little too high.
looks nice though and sounds quite good too.
all in all a tv worth recommending but only now because the price has dropped.

"the dirty screen effect is awful!"

You mean the vertical dirty line running down the middle of the screen? If so thats why i returned mine for that reason alone. Other then that it was an amazing tv.

What I was calling the "Dirty Screen Effect" is when there is a camera pan of a white / light background, and it looks like there is a layer of dirt on the inside of the entire screen.

This was supposed to be even more noticeable on the previous PF1 models but I still notice it.

Incidentally, I agree with the SVM comment - I wasn't completely happy with the picture until I turned it off (making user adjustments to picture mode 3)

Really happy with mine it cost me £780 as it was ex display and not one problem, I maybe think it didn't have a problem as it was ex display (funny as it should be the other way round) but I hear in some posts that this TV improves with use, wearing in etc. so maybe this is why or possibly because they wouldn't put one out in display if it had issues. It came with a 5 year gaurentee too.

So maybe an ex display model is the way to go.

I know it's not a big sample, but 45% so far of people not completely happy or returned it - not a brilliant advert for Quality Control - I'm surprised that there is not some votes for repair - for the capacitor problem on component prog scan

I voted nearly perfect, just the Dirty Screen effect which I do just about notice (on the Golf ) but it doesn't irritate me.

So I would say if you are going to go for one check the returns policy of the retailer beforehand !

My saga has just finished. The shop which was going to send round an engineer to look at my set have cut their losses and decided to just refund me, I think they realised they wouldn't be able to fob me off as I knew what I was talking about.

It's a real shame as the tosh can pump out a stunning picture when it feels like it but Pete is right it all comes down to quality control and what electrical manufacturers feel is tolerable is often a world away from what the customer does.

I know this is a 38 discussion but i wonder if the 48 just released with newer
active vision and other improvements has cured the dirty screen which plagued the old.I got rid of my 38 for a philips due to the component problem though.

getting even worse only 46% perfectly happy & over 30% gave up and got something else - this is worse than the PD30 results

Moo - did yours have the dirty screen effect ? (or was it obscured by coloured blobs !) I have to look for it to see it, but I wondered if it is common to all 36ZP38s

To be honest Pete, think it was a bit of both. Using the DVE disc, when you go to Chapter 14 (system evaluation I think) you get a set of frames with just pure coloured gradients of red, green, yellow, blue and white. The highest contrast white screen showed an incredibly inconsistent tone with dark shadows around 3-4 inches in from each side (similar to the so-called 'lung effect') and then you had various seperate coloured patches of pink and blue in each corner.

In the real world, only the coloured patches were noticable in day to day viewing however especially on black and white films

I don't know if this seems really picky or not but I tried the same tests on a 32" Sony, 32" Panny and even my 21" Samsung in the spare room and on every one the white tone was pure, bright and consistent across the whole screen.

I had 2 Tosh's, both had a vertical patch down the centre of the screen and terrible dirty screen effects. Bought a Loewe instead.

Using the DVE disk, everything is pretty much spot on. The only thing that I noticed was slightly out was the green filter test - and this was the same on 2 other TV (a 32 inch & a 28 inch JVC)

Using the full bright screen, it is consistent white across the whole screen on the Tosh. (On the 32 inch JVC I noticed a slight bluish tinged stain at the bottom,and some slight vertical and horizontal and vertical geomtery problems on the grid pattern, 2mm variance. The 28 inch had a slight convergence problem - rainbow effect on the narrow black and white line patterns)

Despite the size of the screen, the geometry was spot on on the Tosh, and Overscan set to the 5% line (again that needed adjusting on the JVCs)

The dirty screen effect doesn't show up on the DVE disk at all, it's only on camera panning shots of light backgounds and it's very slight - nobody in our house can see it apart from me

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom