1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How damaging for Apple Ipod nano...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Tyranny4u, Sep 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Tyranny4u

Tyranny4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the BBC news here in the UK, the stated that
    "Apple have confirmed that some of their Apple iPod nano are defective, with dodgy screens and scratched units.."

Someone at Apple is gonna get their arse kicked..

Only some, surely that means they are all defective..
    Just think I was thinking of getting one of them too..

2. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets put this into context, the whole report actually said...

"Apple says a manufacturing problem has left screens on one batch vulnerable to cracks and is offering replacements.

It says the problem affects fewer than a tenth of 1% of all Nanos shipped.

However, it denies claims the Nanos are more prone to scratching than other models.

Owners have been complaining about cracked, scratched or inexplicably failing screens, sometimes within hours of buying the machine
    ."

and he also said....

"Apple says the problem with screens on some Nanos is quality issue rather than a design fault and is offering to replace the machines affected.

But a spokeswoman told BBC News Website the new machines were not more prone to scratching than other models.

She said: "The iPod Nano is made from the same high quality polycarbonate plastic as the very popular fourth generation iPod.

"If customers are concerned about scratching we suggest they use one of the many iPod Nano cases becoming available
    ."

Stuff magazine were also quoted in the same report as saying....

"UK gadget magazine Stuff told the BBC News website it had had no reader complaints about the Nano.

Managing editor Adam Vaughan said his experience of the player was that it was "not as fragile as it looked". It had withstood considerable wear and tear, including being dropped.

"Like any gadget, it has got a bit scratched but that's about it," he said
    . "

:confused:

3. Tyranny4u

Tyranny4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, The news didn't say that..

They said that Apple had confirmed that some of the iPod nano's were faulty and that cracked screens , and scratched units were the fault.

Nothing as in depth as you said..
    People watching the news wouldn't have heard the whole comment, just what the news said..

4. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry tryanny, i have pulled the same report from the bbc news website which was in a little more in depth, I assume your quoting a radio or tv report?

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

With all due respect... Sony also claimed (to me in an email which I can put up here if you like) that they only received about 50 complaints regarding the HD5's buttons. We all know that is bull ****!

It is a desperate ploy to keep the lid on things...

By admitting all Nano's carry the potential flaw they will only prevent people from buying it. They would rather fix or replace every Nano to date in secret than let everybody know just how extensive the problem is...

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Woo Hoo. Another conspiracy forming. :eek:

Agent Johann, please organise a revolution against apple ASAP. :D

Sorry. I couldn't resist. ;)

7. Tyranny4u

Tyranny4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes , I just heard what Anna Ford told the nation during the lunchtime news on TV...

No I aint an iPod hater , just saying what has been told to the nation this afternoon..

8. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe - this time I can appreciate your humour. Thing is, it is not a conspiracy - but simply a fact. You should know, you have worked for these companies!

I base my opinion on raw facts. Look this is the letter Sony sent me after waiting nearly 4 months for them to come up with a solution:

Dear Mr Fourie

Thank you for your email reply.

I do realise that we first got reports of cracking buttons some time ago and I am sorry for any delay that has been experienced in trying to resolve this issue. At first, reports of cracks were few and far between though these have escalated since then. I cannot say how long it will take before the investigation is finished though I anticipate this will be soon. I am aware that we will most likely offer replacement parts for the affected units.
    Although we have received a number of these complaints, the amount is still small in relation to the units sold. As such, we are not planning on re-calling the units. The potential service procedure will allow us to deal with cases where a customer does contact Sony for support. Thank you for your observations on what you believe is causing this issue to occur. I am sure our engineers will be able to get to the bottom of the reasons behind this problem.

Sony has not advised retailers formally of this problem as we are still investigating the matter. Please bear in mind that most retailers will be aware of this if the amount of customers you quoted are complaining about the issue.

I am surprised to read that you believe we have been lying regarding this issue. This is not the case. The amount of complaints received in comparison to the units sold still represents only a small percentage of users.
    However, we do recognise that a lot of these units are developing this issue. I do not believe that thousands of people are making this up, to answer your question. However, we have still received approximately 50 complaints rather than the thousands quoted by yourself.

I do appreciate your frustration and disappointment regarding the cracks and I am sorry for any upset this has caused. I accept that the buttons should not crack as easily as they appear to be doing, and we are addressing this issue. However, I do not believe we should re-call all the stock in the meantime as the problem is cosmetic rather than functional. This does not make it alright but it also does not render the product as being unusable or not fit for the purpose in my opinion. Unfortunately, nothing is actually perfect, but having said this, we do strive to make quality products and generally succeed in doing so. Problems can occur and we are addressing these. As you have stated, you do have right in relation to your retailer if you believe the product is not fit for the purpose.

I am genuinely sorry that you feel the way you do as Sony really does value your custom.

Yours sincerely

******d S*****s

For and on behalf of
    Sony United Kingdom Limited

Do you see them blatantly lying about the amount of cracks? You know - that you had to eat your words and that EVERY SINGLE silver unit WAS affected by the problem - but Sony narrowed it down to a lovely 50!

So Sony decided to engineer and press new buttons for 50 people - ********! They would much rather have offered them refunds or vouchers or new players if the problem really was that localised...

You should know better Mr Tbag than to rubbish my claims, you know I proved you horribly wrong the last time!

Hehehe - sorry I just couldnt resist... :D

9. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Er...I still don't see any facts to back up your claim that EVERY silver unit is affected!!! The fact is, this can never be proved without you speaking to all owners of silver units. My opinion still stands, I guess about 50% of all HD5's were affected by the button issue (I'm talking worldwide, not just UK). So your claims are actually still rubbish!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!! ;)

10. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think were all talking sumantics anyway. The hd5 buttons issue has been well discussed already so lets not fall out.

Clearly there is a bit of an issue with the new nano, i have read a number of reports where the screen has broke when in peoples pockets where they have sat down (albeint it not sat on the nano). The problem is that with it being so small people are bound to slip it into their jeans for storage...and remember steve jobs when he unveiled it pulled it out of his jeans, thus implying its portability. As for scratching, well thats no different to the standard ipods, although scratches on a smaller screen are bound to be more visible and annoying when trying to view text etc

11. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And out of which hat did you pull that figure? Why I say every single silver and red (mind you...) was affected was because EVERY single person that was made aware of the issue then noticed the cracks in the buttons. Not a single store had display models without the cracks (this is obviously going back 3 - 4 months before Sony had a solution) and the search was on for a SINGLE HD5 in silver or red, 1 month old without crakcs. We couldn't find ONE!! Take a sickie and read the far over a thouasand replies in the cracks thread and you will see. Take it from me, EVERY single Red and Silver unit produced by Sony for the first three months was affected. Worldwide. The problem was across the board, like I had said.

The cracks were very small, and many people only noticed it after visiting the forums and reading about it on the thread - even after realising their units were affected, many people chose to ignore the issue as they couldn't be bothered to complain about it. This however doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Mr Tbag, just think logically. If Sony, or Apple, said: " We are so sorry we have a problem with all the Nano's/HD5 we have manufactured so far, please send them back for a refund or replacement" Did you not think that they would scare thousands of potential buyers off???? It is only logical and sensible to say the problem only affects one batch and then sort out the problem behind closed doors...

12. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Exactly my point. All we can do is pull figures out of our hats, because unless any of us become Worldwide Service Manager for either Apple or Sony, we cannot say exact figures in these situations. Your hat might be right. Then again, mine might.

13. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know - but just to get back to the last point. Who ever is closest in reality, you saying that about 50% of units were affected or myself claiming a whopping 100% - either way the figure is MUCH higher than Sony would admit (with their lovely golden jubilee figure of a nice and round 50).

My point stands - these companies won't, and neither can we expect them to really, admit the true figures when these sort of mishaps happen!!!

14. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I've never disagreed with that. :D

15. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha! And to get back to your very original post; My revolution against Apple is well under way... as you can tell... ;)

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    He he, we got cracking buttons, some Nano users get cracking SCREENS. You have to laugh :)

17. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Sony and Apple could enter a joint advertising venture.

"Buy our DAPS!! They're Cracking!!" :rotfl:

18. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I can give Apple one credit (and these credits are very few and far between...), it is that they have acknowledged and acted (whether they are still covering true figures up or not) much faster than Sony did... So Sony should sit up and listen...

19. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I was just thinking that. Apple were really quick to respond and start to resolve the issue. This of course is where Sony go so wrong, denying there's a problem all along and then fiiiiinally doing something about it. At least Apple have moved on this long before most nano owners even realise there could be a problem

20. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well to be fair this was a story that was beginning to break on tech sites and in the mainstream media before Apples announcement. Apart for the people on this forum the Sony cracking buttons fiasco would not exactly be considered newsworthy to the public. And as sucky as it is the button issue is a cosmetic one (to date) whereas a broken screen turns your Nano into a shuffle. If Apple did something about the talk about the apparently amazing scratchability of the Nano that would be something unusual.

21. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you! :)

22. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    yeah I did actually expect Apple to market their way out of the situation by saying it was a design feature or something! I can see it now... '4GB nanoshuffle... impossibly scratchy' ;)