How could I revive this Dell Laptop that works perfectly but has windows vista home basic as it’s OS?

Pollywoggle

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that must be from around 2009.
I have never really used it for anything apart from setting up various bits of home cinema gear over the years. It’s hard drive is therefore almost empty.
It has an Intel Celeron 583 2.16 ghz chip in it and 1gb ram I believe.
The C drive seems to be 140gb or thereabouts
It has a DVD RW drive and USB ports etc

It works perfectly well mechanically, has wifi etc but with Windows vista home basic as the obsolete operating system it won’t allow web browsing etc as it cannot be updated by windows?

I would like to start having a dabble with REW (Room EQ Wizard) for which I would need to buy a umik microphone and a laptop to run it on.
As a microphone will be expensive for starters, can anyone advise on any way it might be possible to (economically) get this laptop operational with an operating system that would allow it download programmes from the internet, web browse etc?

Seems a shame to throw it away when there might be simple way to get it doing what I want, connecting with the internet and running small programs.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That appears to be one of the Core 2 single core Celerons so 2009 would be about right. It must be slow as hell on Vista, those sorts of machines were one of the reasons it got such a bad name.

Windows 10 might run, although you'd want to upgrade the memory (a pair of 2GB DDR2 stick are cheap enough, as is DDR3 if it uses that). Vista never qualified for the free upgrade though, so you'd need a new key. For something this old I'd just pick up a second hand key for a couple of quid.

Or you could try a popular Linux Distro like Mint or Ubuntu, but they're likely to have similar minimum requirements to Windows 10 so may or may not work.

A more low-end focused distro would work but then you may have to mess about trying to install the required software for REW to work, so leave them as a last resort.

Pollywoggle

That appears to be one of the Core 2 single core Celerons so 2009 would be about right. It must be slow as hell on Vista, those sorts of machines were one of the reasons it got such a bad name.

Windows 10 might run, although you'd want to upgrade the memory (a pair of 2GB DDR2 stick are cheap enough, as is DDR3 if it uses that). Vista never qualified for the free upgrade though, so you'd need a new key. For something this old I'd just pick up a second hand key for a couple of quid.

Or you could try a popular Linux Distro like Mint or Ubuntu, but they're likely to have similar minimum requirements to Windows 10 so may or may not work.

A more low-end focused distro would work but then you may have to mess about trying to install the required software for REW to work, so leave them as a last resort.
Yes it was very slow!
I think that was one of the reasons it just stayed at the bottom a drawer most of the last 11 years!

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes it was very slow!
I think that was one of the reasons it just stayed at the bottom a drawer most of the last 11 years!

Also check out Puppy Linux its designed for old PC's.

Use this tool to install it to USB drive then boot from USB and install or burn CD/DVD if laptop still has that. The Celeron 585 (not sure if your 583 is typo) is x86 64-bit capable so you can grab Ubuntu Focal 64 build on puppy linux page.

One of the trickiest parts with linux is typically wifi drivers, if not supported out of the box its just easier to get a cheap USB Wifi dongle that's linux compatible. If laptop has Intel WiFi then there is good chance WiFi should be supported out of the box.

Last edited:

Pollywoggle

Also check out Puppy Linux its designed for old PC's.

Use this tool to install it to USB drive then boot from USB and install or burn CD/DVD if laptop still has that. The Celeron 585 (not sure if your 583 is typo) is x86 64-bit capable so you can grab Ubuntu Focal 64 build on puppy linux page.

One of the trickiest parts with linux is typically wifi drivers, if not supported out of the box its just easier to get a cheap USB Wifi dongle that's linux compatible. If laptop has Intel WiFi then there is good chance WiFi should be supported out of the box.
Thanks very much
I will look into all this😬

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom