1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How consoles works in 16:9 screens?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dreamboy, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from my LCD vs. Plasma problem I have a big question when buying my new TV.

Until now I allways had 4:3 format TV's. I use to play with my XBox and the image of the console is 4:3. I'm wondering how 16:9 TV's handle console images.

Does the image look streched? Does the PlayStation 2 or XBox have panoramic modes? Are some parts of the image cut?

This would be a big problem if image is cut affecting score boards or game information on screen.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'm sure, on the XBOX at least, that you can select widescreen or 16:9 for the output.

I've always used mine on a widescreen TV and never had a problem with the way games look.

John

3. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Xbox has a 16:9 mode in the settings. The PS2 doesn't to my knowledge. You can always select the 4:3 mode on your TV and play in that ratio with the black borders on the screen. All widescreen TVs have that option.

4. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting the 16:9 mode on the XBox will adapt all the games? I know that I can use wide screen TV's in 4:3 modes but then I only use a part of the screen that is a little disapointing.

Also I've heard that using 4:3 on a plasma monitor can cause screen burn as image is not shown in the sides.

5. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I think all Xbox games come suitable for 16:9.

That's a big problem with Plasmas, burn in. Most gamers would say the technology to go for if you want a flat screen and you are a gamer is LCD.

6. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's great to know that XBox can use the 16:9 format. About the burn in i'm really worried as consoles can have many static parts on the image for some time.

I've read a lot about this in this forum and seems that lots of people uses plasma + XBox without problems. I was goint to buy a 30" LCD Sharp but yestarday I saw the 42" LG Plasma for the same price and the image size difference is impressing. I can't even sleep trying to make my decision. :(

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    big ps2 player here and on some games in the options in the game its self you can set the ratio to 16:9. i think fifa 2004 allows this as well as GTA:VC. pity all games dont have this option but most newer games do

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've used an XBOX on a Hitachi plasma for nearly a year now and have had no problems with permanent screen burn. I occassionally get image retention but this goes away after a few seconds when I switch back to normal TV.

HTH

John

9. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The PS2 does have a 4:3/16:9 mode in its own settings menu but I really don't know exactly what it does - I have mine connected via the S-Video input and it always fills the plasma screen regardless of the PS2 setting - although it does look slightly different, but cant really explain how. All games seem to look o.k. though.

Also as someone else pointed out some games have an option too - I think this just adjusts the width/height ratio so the screen does not look stretched even if it has been stretched (by plasma or PS2 settings) - at least thats how it looks when I fiddle with that setting on GTA Vice City.

Plasma options to stretch/zoom a 4:3 image will depend on plasma model and connection type.

10. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments. Now I'm less worried. :)

Maybe when setting the panoramic mode in the XBox the resolution changes to match the 16:9 screen size. This wuold be perfect and the image is not distorted in any way.

I've heard of image retention but this doesn't worryes me if it disapears in a short time. What frightens me is permanent burn in.

11. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not all Xbox games are in 16:9 , in fact I would say less than half are.

Its pretty simple, if the game supports widescreen then it will output widescreen. If the game does not then it will be in 4:3.

Anyone who tells you different has no idea what they are talking about !!!.

12. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Could anyone with any console and a widescreen lcd answer this for me please. I had a plasma which I had to return but during the time I had it, I used my ps2 to play pro evo on it and I thought the picture was great.

However, I'm currently debating getting a LCD as a replacement for the panny but I have noticed that some LCD screens I've seen console games running on seem to look exactly like my TFT monitor does when it's running games at the wrong resolution, i.e. slightly blurry, particularly with text.

I didn't see this with the plasma and assumed it was because even though it was running at a resolution which the console was not outputing, the scaler simply adjusted the image size to what was, to my eyes at least, quite pleasing. I assumed the scalers on the LCD screens do the same but seeing some of these images has worried me a little. In all honesty, I've not checked what settings the lcd screens were on, they may have all been on zoom mode or something of that type but I'd really be interested to hear if anyone has noticed that games look more blurry on lcd than plasma. Could it be because the panny had a lower resolution than the average lcd screen or am I simply imaging the entire thing.

Grateful for any comments!

13. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Of course the PS2 has 16:9, you think Sony would miss something like that :laugh: Just be careful though cos some games require you to select 16:9 in the game menu as well as the console system menu

14. cb31

cb31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got an xbox connected to my plasma using the HD pack. At 480p and 720p it is simply stunning, much better than using the scart connection. I have never noticed any image stretching and wouldn't dream of forcing it to 4:3 if the game doesn't support widescreen. I sometimes get some brief image retention but it goes very quickly and is unnoticeable on normal tv.

I also have a gamcube connected to a 16:9 17" lcd and the image is pretty hopeless. However I am using composite so expect the picture to be not that great. Whether it is the lcd or connection or combination of both I am not sure.

15. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hey, Sony forgot to include the harddrive so why not widescreen... :p

16. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! :laugh:

What's this 480p and 720p thing? There's diferent resolutions for the XBox to work? How can be changed? And was has this to do with the SCART connections. Sorry I'm very confused.

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    In the set up menu under VIDEO you will have the options for WIDESCREEN and Pal 60 if you have a Pal xbox, If you have an NTSC XBOX you will get the WIDESCREEN option and also you can tell the XBOX what reolutions your display can handle, most games support 480p, and some also support 720p and 1080i, you will have to have a component cable plugged in for these options to come up.

You can chip your xbox then run the Enigma video mode disc to set your XBOX to NTSC, that way you can use progressive scan and hi-def from a UK xbox.

I never worry whether the game is true 16:9 and always run my display in 16:9 format, so what if a character looks a little shorther than normal, it is a videogame after all, it doesn't effect gameplay and fills the whole screen.

18. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Thanks for the information. My XBox is PAL and I have already modded it. I don't have component connections as PAL systems usually comes with SCART connectors. I don't know if it's the same.

19. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Not the same at all dreamboy, For high definition from xbox you will also need the high definition lead, avaliable state side, just had mine picked up by a friend for $19.99 £13.00

HERE £29.99 Ripoff

20. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the high definition cable in the link. There's information about how it works and didn't kneew this was available for the XBox. But it says that this only works with USA XBox with USA games. Mine is european and I'm not sure if it can work with this.

Also I'm not sure what modes support the TV I want to buy. I'm looking for the 42" Plasma monitor LG MU-42PZ44.

21. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    As mentioned above, only chipped xbox's work in UK using the HD output with pal and ntsc games.

MORE INFO HERE

Your screen will supports the following:-

Input Signal NTSC/PAL/SECAM, HD, VGA-SXGA
    Component (Y,Pb,Pr) & Audio (480i/480p/576i/576p)
    Resolution 852 x 480
    Only HD panels will support 1080i/720p as the LG model is only SD the modes avaliable are listed above

MORE INFO HERE
    :)

22. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks for all the info! Wow looking at the specs I've seen that it consumes 320W Is this the average for a Plasma monitor? CRT TV's have much lower consumption.

Anyway I thing this is great for his price. I hope to have it soon. :p

23. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes 300w and above is normal, :cool:
    saves having the heating on in the winter

24. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry. I did not get what you mean with "saves having the heating on in the winter".

25. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    300 watts = plasma panel or plasma room heater. Hence no need for heating just a dig at the power consumption really.

26. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my Gamecube on my new Panny PWD6 and it looks soo nice in Progressive Scan, crystal clear

Cant Wait !!!! For Resident Evil 4 that is gona look soo sweet!

27. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you mean that plasma panels generate lots of heat? That's great in winter but not so great in summer... Another point for LCD. It's really hard to choose.

I was looking at the LG in the shop where they have it running for hours and it seemed it was not very hot. Any CRT I've seen get much hotter that this.

28. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    fair point :laugh: Though the PSP coming out later this year looks pretty good. Just got Driver 3 but haven't had time to play it properly yet :D

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    If it supports progressive that is, none of the others have.

30. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont think you can really compare any other Resident evil game to Resident evil 4, they have gone to town on the visuals and gameplay theres no way they would leave Progressive scan or Pro Logic 2 out,

This will be the definate version of Resident evil upto now