1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How common are dead pixels?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by worjackie, May 22, 2005.

1. worjackie

worjackie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy a Sony LCD tv. I can get it much cheaper on the internet but I'm worried about dead pixels and the hassle of maybe having to return it, or even not being able to return it as some dead pixels are deemed to be acceptable. Can anyone tell me what are the chances of getting a screen with dead pixels - 1 in 100? 1 in 10? I'd be glad of advice.

2. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my case, it has been fifty-fifty chance :). Have bought two sets, first one (27 incher) didn't have any dead pixels, the second one (37") had one dead red subpixel. Both sets were returned due to other faults. I believe, the bigger the panel the more likely it will have dead pixels. I may be wrong on this tho'.

The impression I've got from several forums is that most sets have atleast one or two dead subpixels.

Movq

3. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you have to differentiate between noticable and not noticable dead pixels, which makes a huge difference - also in regard of having a defective screen replaced.
    Anyway I've got a 9986 without any dead pixels, or at least so I think, havent really searched for them, whilst discovering some would only aggrevate me immensely.
    You cant really say that it is more likely to get dead pixels on the larger screens, because it must have something to do with the resolution - the greater the resolution the greater risk of dead pixels according to calculation of probability.
    The more careful you handle your screen without bumping into it, the longer it will remain dead pixel less, or thats my impression nevertheless!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    In my case 100% perfect on 2xTVs, PC monitor, camera, phone, portable DVD. And one barely visible on my projector. Each item was the first one bought or tested in store. In other words, I've never been in posession of a bad pixel (except for the one in the projector).

They are rarer than you might think, but more common than you might like. They rarely arise after the first few hours' use. They only very occasionally arise during the first few hours' use. When they do occur, they most commonly arise in production and are thus DOA.

Unpack your TV carefully. Only unpack the TV (not the manual, remote, etc) and power supply if required. Turn it on and look at the lit, but dark screen. If it's free of bright spots it will probably stay that way. If not, pack it back up and return it, demanding a refund under the Distance Selling Regulations.

5. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sharp 45", with around 2 million pixels (or 3 times that if you separate RGB) has none, as far as I can tell. And believe me I've looked! Pretty impressive I thought. I would have settled for a couple at the sides I suppose. After that I would have been getting pretty unhappy.

6. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have one dead pixel a few inches from the bottom on my 32" 9986 it is immpossible to spot unless you have the blue screen showing and you are looking for it.

7. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    At least on an internet purchase you can return it and have a refund for any reason whatsoever irrespective of any manufacturers policy on dead pixels. I think maybe several suppliers will also agree in advance to replace if you find any dead pixels on arrival irrespective of manufacturers policy. I've often wondered how consumer protection laws apply in relation to dead pixels - the manufacturers policy is surely irrelevant if a dead pixel is legally sufficient cause to reject under such laws. Anybody know?