1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How commen are dead pixels on ae300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Norr, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Norr

Norr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I'm a newbie and would like to buy an AE300 or an AE500 but shudder at the thought of buying an lcd pr to find a few months down the line I have dead pixels popping up.

So, my questions are:

1: How many people who started of with a NDP count now have dead pixels ?

2. How many dead pixels do you now have ?

3. How long has the pr run before they started to pop up ?

4. At what point in the life of the pr are dead pixels more likely to appear ?

Thanks in advance folks.

:confused:

2. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Norr,

Well I have had my AE300 since about May and at first it seemed that there wasn't a dead pixel. I'm not sure when it first appeared but it was a blue one that appeared in the center of the screen about 25% down from the top.

It was only really notiable on very dark images and was a little annoying. You are obviously aware of Panasonic's policy on dead-pixels hence the thread so know that it can't be replaced without a certain combination/number of pixels failing.

Well after reading up on these forums, I found a kinda solution to the problem which involved placing a coloured sticker in front of where the dead-pixel appears and it has done wonders. The pixel is almost impossible to see now from viewing distance.

See for yourself:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/ftvtp/ftvtpdpmainpage.htm

And here is a link to a page I did a while back on the installation etc:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/ftvtp/ftvtpmainpage.htm

Please don't let this put you off as it's really a great little pj....

All the best,

Chris Nightingale.

3. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    usually theyre there from the start its just a case of how long it takes you to see them. because as soon as you know its there you will ALWAYS be drawn to it.:thumbsdow

4. Norr

Norr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guy’s.

Am I correct in assuming that when a retailer states they have a NDP policy then the unit purchased should remain DP free for the life of the unit, Or am I stretching it bit!
    :zonked:

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Oh no, a NDP policy means when you first receive it there will be no dead pixels, if any die during normal use it's tough luck, at least that's my understanding.

Cheers
    Andy