1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How come some disks are DTS and DD, and other arn't

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Sep 28, 2000.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    Why is it that some DTS disks, do it at a sacrifice for some of the extras (i.e. Saving Private Ryan) and others manage to have both, although a perhap lesser, lower bit rate version of DTS and/or DD.

Where as other manage to put full DD and DTS soundtracks as well as all the extra (i.e. T2).

If one can do it, why can't they all?

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    T2 ultimate is one of the first(maybe the very first?)18 gig DVD's. All previous were 9gig.
    ----------------------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    T2 is full bitrate for DD but half bitrate for DTS (448k - DD and 786k - DTS, not sure if they are accurate but it's close enough). The only dual format discs with full bitrate DD and DTS are the new Warner discs (Interview with a Vampire, Twister).

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess "some want to do, some don't".
    Technically many things are possible but might not be 'worth' doing because they cost money.

Why make a good DVD of Highlander (R1) when we can sell two (the ****tty one now and the better (hopefully non-THX) version in the future?
    Or why release several sequels of Star Trek (OS) on one DVD if we can make one for each; and charge accordingly?
    Sorry, got a bit carried away, but my point is you are at the mercy of the studio and what are they willing to do (or not).

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 07-10-2000).]

5. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The first DVD 18 was Stephen King's The Stand that came out on 26/10/99 that has the entire 6 hour version of the Film/TV show.

6. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure about the DTS bitrate? I was under the impression that the DTS bitrate was not variable and was fixed at 1400 something or other.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, DTS has cut the bitrate on some DVDs to allow space for extras, obviously to compete with the same release in DVD.
    Though the initial idea of DTS was to provide better quality sound due to the higher bitrate, it appears that has been, aeh, thought over .... [​IMG]