1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How come I don't have sound through 5.1 surround system?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Papsico, May 15, 2005.

1. Papsico

Papsico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,
    Every time I write a dvd (with my home made movie on it), and play it in my DVD standalone player, I only have sound through the television speakers, and not through my surround system. What am I doing wrong?

Greets,
    Papsico

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well unless your editing programme allows you to edit/mix 5.1 & has a 5.1 encoder your output will be stereo. You also need an authoring package that supports 5.1

You won't therefore be able to get 5.1 onto disc & your DVD player will be playing the native stereo mix in either Dolby or PCM. The only way you will get pseudo 5.1 is if you play your stereo stream through a Dolby Pro logic II decoder.

3. Papsico

Papsico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do I have to do to get such 'pseudo-surround sound?'

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You have to have a DVD player or an Amp/receiver with a Dolby Pro logic II decoder.

You feed it stereo it gives you pseudo 5.1

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Papasico, what kit are you using?

true 5:1 surround origination is an expensive business requireing five mics (NOT A FIVE ELEMENT MIC as on some sonys) ballanced and mixed with an even placement perspective, then authored using a pro level dvd package (the likes of DVD studio pro for macs, Adobe thingey.. encounter I think) for PC (the wee cheat on Pinnacle 9 works up to a point)

More kit info=more fix info