How close...

david230

Do you sit from your dlp and what size do you have?

I plan on purchasing my first dlp tv this coming weekend and have in mind the sagem 50". My viewing distances will be roughly 6-8 feet, baring in mind this is a bedroom and I will either be in a chair or on the bed.lol

Just fancy picking one of these up as I think it will kick ass for games aswell as movies.

The only thing that I see might be a problem is my stand, which is 2 x ikea opplis put together so already the height is roughly 70cm. I did a little check to see how high the telly would be with a tape measure and it does'nt seem that bad, although its not quite the same has having the thing right there infront of you.

Enough people tell me its too big but if the viewing distance is'nt a problem then I would be happy. Theres a 27inch lcd in the front room and that looks tiny to me as does a 37inch LCD... I think I must be a little wierd.:rolleyes:

dunsters

Novice Member
I am no more than 6' from my 56" to write this response. 8-10 feet give you the best viewing for a 50" on a poor feed but if you play DVDs, HD or some of the better sky channels you can get as close as 4' no problem

Cheers:hiya:

b2sbailey

We sit about 13ft-14ft away from our Sony 50" and the centre of the screen (on the sony stand) is about 65cms high, which perfectly lines up with our eyeline when sat down on the sofas.

Steve.

square-eyes-baz

Novice Member
Our main sofa is about 9-10 ft away and the smaller one is no more than 4 ft from the screen (at a right angle) - absolutely no problem at all. In fact ,sitting on the small sofa looking at the screen at roughly 45 Degrees from 4 ft the picture is perfect . Ours is sitting on a single Oppli though , not sure how much differnce that would make though. Dont listen to "its too big" , go for it and enjoy!:thumbsup:

PRODIGY8

Novice Member
I only sit about 8 foot away from mine and its fine mate

go for it!! I didn't think you could possibly have a TV too big???:D

sanderton

Novice Member
david230 said:
The only thing that I see might be a problem is my stand, which is 2 x ikea opplis put together so already the height is roughly 70cm. I did a little check to see how high the telly would be with a tape measure and it does'nt seem that bad, although its not quite the same has having the thing right there infront of you.
DLP sets tend to have a fairly restricted vertical viewing angle, so it's important to get the height right. If you raise the TV up so you can see it when lying in bed, you may find it's outside the optimum range - you want your eyes to be at the same height as the centre of the screen.

david230

Cheers guys, For your info..

I really want to get this Sagem but I am slightly worried about the overall height once on the stands. I could just use a single oppli but I need the extra spaces really that the second oppli gives for some of my gear.

The height would be almost perfect I think with a single oppli, so sacrafices might just have to be made. Will see what the picture is like on the 2 stands first.

I went to comets today and they did'nt have any sagems at all, only the sony 3lcd which since reading up on the sagem is pretty much out the window anyway. It would be nice however if the store could link their screens up properly so you could get some idea what they are like.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom