1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How close to a sonos unit can I get with a htpc?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dunkwho, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I had the pleasure of playing with a sonus server\remote setup at work today ... wow, what a neat bit of kit (especially when work is paying! :) ). How close can we get to that with wireless PDAs and htpc s/w? My media center runs mce, its the easiest to understand, nice and stable, and has a good WAF factor. One thing it doesn't do well is handle mp3 playback akin to the ease of dropping a CD into a cd player - mce needs the TV on to browse mymusic, isn't too hot at displaying enough info to browse through, and doesn't have the immediacy of picking up a disk and dropping it in. Sonos on the other hand has a nice ipod style i/f, colour in-you-hand pick it up and play appeal with cover art etc ... sounds like something mce should be able to support but I've seen nothing like that around. maybe mediaportal has a pluggin that'd help? we use our mce for dual dvb-t PVRing, dvd playback, music, some news\weather pluggins, and run outputs both to the TV and a PJ.

Cheers
    Duncan

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    you can use something ;like xlobby to replicate the functionality of the sonos. I've got to say though that since I had a look at the sonos system in action I'm convinced it's going to be very hard/impossible to replicate.

for this reason I'm going to use a combination made up of: sonos units in rooms like my kitchen, bedroom and dining room (where absolute sound quality isn't as important as useability and reliability) and an HCPC in the lounge for serious listening. Since they can share all the same music I think this will work well.

in terms of the cost of the system I think the sonos represents pretty good value for money too, just over £600 for a player and controller is pretty good and being able to share controllers between rooms just makes it better.