How close is the upscaled 720p PQ...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ohanlon, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ohanlon

ohanlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    compared to a proper HD 720p trailer? I've been downloading some HD 720p trailers recently and watching them on my HDTV, and they are indeed very nice, and was just wondering how close the PQ of an upscaled DVD can get to these trailers? I'm referring to the Oppo in particular, as that will be the player I'm getting next week. Is the difference minimal or large?

2. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It's a very good DVD picture but stil nothing like HD IMO.

3. dgkp

dgkp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really best not to make the comparison as HD has four times the detail of SD. What upscaling can do is get the best out of the limited SD DVD for HD ready displays. If the SD DVD is well authored then the oppo will probably surprise you--but it's not HD, and certainly not on a large display (say 42" plus). If you are set on making that comparison you will be ab it disappointed.

4. fidelityutensil

fidelityutensil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ohanlon, where did you download the HD trailers? I've been looking but can't find any, i take it you play back via the PC-in on the XDE media box?!

Is that right?

5. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Ive watched some DVD's that look really good and ive watched some high def films that look really bad so it all depends on the quality of the source.
    A good quality version of both should look better on HD, how much so hmmmm good question.

Andy

6. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You can find LOADS of hi def trailer material at 720p\1080p at microsofts "HD showcase" site.

can't remember the site, but type in "Microsoft + HD material" in google, its the first listing that comes up :)