How close do you sit

The original IMAX standard was basically <1 screen width...if you want to replicate (although obviously that was for a 1.43:1 screen ratio)! You'll then need to ensure you have a source with an appropriate resolution of course aka 4K(the graph above is a good guide).

What is immersive?

"Accompanying the article is a plan drawing of a theater in which distance from the screen to the last row of seats equals the width of the screen. The closest row is about 35% of screen width. These ratios, 0.35W and 1.0W (where W=the width of the screen), provide horizontal viewing angles of 110° and 53° respectively, close to Shaw and Douglas’ goals of 120° and 60°. To obtain an angle of at least 60° for all viewers, the last row must be no more than 0.86W from the screen."

Last edited:
I sit 14.5' from a 151" 2.40:1 screen, 4k

In the lounge, from the 50 inch 4k TV the seating is anywhere between 7ft and 14ft depending on which seat I sit on. I usually sit about 14ft away as that's the most comfy seat :)

For my movie room, 60 inch 4k TV from about 12ft and then a 104" screen comes down in front of TV so still 12ft. To be honest, I don't think I'm sitting too far away as I like the seat layout in the rooms, its more the fact that I wish the screens were bigger :)

Can't beat having a big screen like that, I'm sure its amazing :thumbsup:
Thanks mate, ya it's pretty amazing! I watched Moana last night on blu ray and it was stunning, every bit as impressive as the 4k discs. Dying to get out there again to watch another movie :)

Thanks mate, ya it's pretty amazing! I watched Moana last night on blu ray and it was stunning, every bit as impressive as the 4k discs. Dying to get out there again to watch another movie :)
Out there? Is it an outdoor room you have then?

Yeah, Moana is a good movie, great soundtrack too. That's all I seem to watch these days, kids movies :)

Out there? Is it an outdoor room you have then?

Yeah, Moana is a good movie, great soundtrack too. That's all I seem to watch these days, kids movies :)
Ya it's upstairs in a garage. It was an empty room when I bought the house so it was nice to start with a blank canvas. Delighted with how it turned out and it doesn't lose it's novelty when you have to leave the house which is good. Generally go out there at the weekend and use the tv in the house to watch box sets etc during the week. If/when I have kids I'll be happy watching movies with them if there's more of the quality of Moana :)

I sit between 7-8' away from a 55" 4k HDR screen and whilst it may be considered too small or too far away for 4k content, I can often see what has benefited from the increased resolution - mostly the mid range but also some of the more distant objects retaining more detail, textures etc and of course ts much more obvious in gaming. In some cases, going back to HD highlights more of the quality of 4k.

bit curious why people never sat less than 2ft away from their 19" tv 25-30 years ago.

bit curious why people never sat less than 2ft away from their 19" tv 25-30 years ago.
I did :)

My mum used to say I would get square eyes sitting that close. Didn't happen thankfully.

The original IMAX standard was basically <1 screen width...if you want to replicate (although obviously that was for a 1.43:1 screen ratio)! You'll then need to ensure you have a source with an appropriate resolution of course aka 4K (the graph above is a good guide).

So viewing distances for the following diagonal screen sizes should be:

55" = 4'-0"
65" = 4'-9"
75" = 5'-5"
100" = 7'-3"
120" = 8'-9"
150" = 10'-11"

7' from the 50" in the bedroom.
Lounge used to be 10' from a 60". It'll soon be roughly 12' from the same 60" but also roughly 12' from the 120" that drops down in front of it. :)

I have never understood why anyone would take any notice of recommended distances from the screen by THX, SMPTE, etc.

Surely the key point is how much of your field of view you want to have filled by the screen and that is purely down to personal taste. (Subject to not being too close to low res sources.)

I sit about 10 feet away from a 65" screen but at that distance my wife finds even a 40" screen too large.

I like to sit in the back half of a cinema but I have a friend who always wants to sit at the very front so that it fills his field of view as much as possible.

The only problem sitting to close is when you watch a film with black bars at night you can see the the lcd leds coming through not to bad but you know its there, sitting back further does seem to make those black bars more black with no shine from the leds. Its just in the corner where you can see the light.

Good job I still have 20/20 eyesight, because I'm about 9ft away from a 42" TV. Looking at the rest of your posts that's far too far on such a 'small' screen.

I'd love a 65" TV or to sit closer, but the room layout doesn't allow it, at least not with a major refit which I'd struggle to get the wife to agree to.

I sit 7ft away from my 65" TV.

Thinking of getting this done next year when it becomes available

HOME

3x better than 20/20 Vision ie if you can read a sign at 20 feet with 20/20 you can read it at 60 feet after this op

I'm 54 next year and my close up is getting worse and this basically is for life as you vison never changes after this, about £3k per eye

I'm not sure I'd let anyone near my eyes with a new procedure for a good few years. Too much is at stake. Ask most opticians what they think about laser surgery and you'll find most of them won't go near it as they see the effect on people's lives when it goes wrong.

13' from a 106" projection screen.
This is probably the same viewing angle as sitting about 5' from my 60" TV screen but there is something about a large screen.
You can't beat a large screen no matter how close you sit to a 55-65" screen.

9ft from a 58", any closer and I think I melt my eyes watching HDR content.

One of the issues with sitting "close" to a typical-sized TV is what happens when you have more than two people watching. We can adjust screen sizes and viewing distances, but the typical size of a human being is fixed :)

If you have three or four viewers in an arc, you either sit close so that the screen fills a decent proportion of your field of vision (a viewing distance of 1.4 x the screen diagonal works for me), but the viewers on the ends of the row are at almost 45 degrees to the screen. Or you sit further back, and then no-one gets the big-screen effect.

It's a shame, because I like watching movies with friends, and trying to offer more of a cinematic experience than a "TV in the lounge" experience, but even with a 65" OLED, it's a problem.

This is where projection wins, but that's not really workable for me at home currently. I'd want a dedicated bat-cave to make that sort of installation worthwhile.

A contributing factor of course is the size of your furniture... :) Though again, there aren't many solutions that work for day-to-day living.

The other solution is to give up and go out to the movies with your mates. Which I do. But then that's not "home cinema" is it?

I'm not sure I'd let anyone near my eyes with a new procedure for a good few years. Too much is at stake. Ask most opticians what they think about laser surgery and you'll find most of them won't go near it as they see the effect on people's lives when it goes wrong.

It's exactly the same operation as a cataract replacement the single most common operation in the world

It's exactly the same operation as a cataract replacement the single most common operation in the world
Oh no it isnt. Go and meet some ophthalmologists. Note how many are wearing glasses. Realise they havent had laser surgery. Wonder why? [emoji6]

Oh no it isnt. Go and meet some ophthalmologists. Note how many are wearing glasses. Realise they havent had laser surgery. Wonder why? [emoji6]
I know a few people who have had it done with no problems.
I wear glasses and thought about it but glasses don't really bother me and with all operations there is an element of risk.
This is from the NHS:
"What are the risks of laser eye surgery?
Complications occur in less than 5% of cases, but check with your consultant that they have outlined all the risks. Most people are back at work within a few days to a week.

Some people have a problem with dry eyes in the months after surgery. Artificial tears can help with this. Other patients experience glare or halo effects when driving at night in the weeks or months after treatment. This is more likely if a high degree of long- or short-sightedness is corrected.

In rare cases, too much thinning of the eye wall can make the shape of the eye unstable after treatment. Severe loss of vision is very rare.

It's important to find out how frequently your surgeon has had complications, and why.

You can find more information about the risks associated with laser eye surgery in the Patient Guide to Excimer Laser Refractive Surgery, published by the RCO. You can also read more about laser eye surgery in the NICE guidance, Photorefractive (laser) surgery for the correction of refractive errors. "

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom