How close distance between rear surround speakers in 7.1?

timcz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

Retrofitting an existing 7.1 home theatre that has some in ceiling surrounds at the rear, and looking to wall mount some at a better height mainly to match the remainder of the speakers.

However, there are two windows flanking the centre of the wall so there is limited space to actually mount the speakers. (Probably about 4ft spacing between).

Does this present significant issues? Does this change then if they were tripoles compared to monopoles?

The curtains will be changed so they sit in the window recess better, so I can mount them right on the edge of the wall.

Many thanks.

Edit - back wall is approx 13ft wide, and distance to MLP is around 7ft. Two rows of seats (and back doesn’t really get used so much so not concerned about quality in those seats).

Attachments

• 2FBA96B4-7322-4FDF-83A7-E1383B93F95F.jpeg
    2FBA96B4-7322-4FDF-83A7-E1383B93F95F.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
If not, could you use stands?

If you're set on on wall, just wire them up to a long cable and physically try it out.

Hey everyone -

Retrofitting an existing 7.1 home theatre that has some in ceiling surrounds at the rear, and looking to wall mount some at a better height mainly to match the remainder of the speakers.

However, there are two windows flanking the centre of the wall so there is limited space to actually mount the speakers. (Probably about 4ft spacing between).

Does this present significant issues? Does this change then if they were tripoles compared to monopoles?

The curtains will be changed so they sit in the window recess better, so I can mount them right on the edge of the wall.

Many thanks.

Edit - back wall is approx 13ft wide, and distance to MLP is around 7ft. Two rows of seats (and back doesn’t really get used so much so not concerned about quality in those seats).
I think @CableGuy has his back surrounds in a similar position to how you propose, so may be able to offer some insight as to sound quality etc.

At one point I had two rears in a 7.1.4 setup about a meter apart. It was a compromised small living room with the sofa against the rear wall so the rears were calibrated in with a fairly low level relative to the other speakers. It worked well I am pleased to say but you do need a bit of distance between them so that you can hear effects move around behind you from the left and right convincingly. Atmos arcs going back to front or front to back over the top are less fussy about the rear inter-spacing distance. Setup with temporary positioning and run something like the Dolby Atmos "Amaze" demo and listen for the spinning sycamore seed and how convincingly it moves around you.

If not, could you use stands?

If you're set on on wall, just wire them up to a long cable and physically try it out.
Honestly I probably could. Was just hoping for a cleaner install. Might move the couch forward slightly and see what I might be able to manage. Overall sound would be much better I suspect.

I’d likely try and fit the stands in those dips in the couches. So between seats 1&2 and 3&4.

150 degrees for the rears from the center speaker. Don't have them too close together if they are adjust seating position

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom