1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How close can a sub go??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DavidCook, May 7, 2005.

1. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I understand from reading the forums that sub placement in the room seems not not be a critical issue.
    Would it be detrimental to place it behind the TV into a corner? The concern that I have is that it would be only a matter of 2ft from the centre speaker and similar from one of the front speakers. Is this a problem?
    An advantage would be the amount of spaghetti it would hide.

Thanks for any advice

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    As long as the tv does not suffer from the magnet on the sub it will be fine ,i have my sub in the same location your thinking of but mine is much closer than yours will be.

[​IMG]

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I've picked up the impression that sub placement is a very important issue, though yes perhaps it's too far to say it's a critical one.

But at the end of the day you've got to work within practical limits. I placed the sub in the place I wanted it to go and it does the job I'd hoped it would, that's not to say placing it somewhere else wouldn't be better but I'd probably trip over it as I walked in the room. :)

Put the sub where you want it. If it sounds OK you're on a winner...PJ :thumbsup:

4. lucem

lucem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would seem a shame, as placement is absolutely the most critical aspect of your subwoofer's final performance in your room.

Correct placement is what allows any sub to perform to it's fullest potential (or at it's worst if you get it wrong). Experimentation is key to getting it right and remember that moving the sub even an inch or two can often change the response at the listening position quite dramatically.

5. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Bob for the images. Mine will be very similar not quite as close but the same arrangement. Thanks also PJ and Lucem for the comments. I think experimentation will be the key. The sub is a Canton ASD 220. It hasn't arrived yet, hopefully Tuesday. Just planning the room layout :)

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I used to have more of a choice of location with my last sub and it did sound stronger in the bass but it just didn't get on with the other speakers ,the space to the side of the tv as been the best location for my subs.I would also try different locations for the sub to get the most from it.