HOw can you tell if your Tweeters not working??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cyberbob69, Aug 13, 2006.

1. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    HI guys, I've just sold a B&W cc6 v1. on ebay. and the guy has come back to me saying that the tweeter isn't working.

I have owned this speaker for many years, And I've never had any problems with it, how could I tell if it wasn't working?? He said it would cost £25 to get this repaired, do you think he is pulling a fast one??

My wife and I we have 100% possitive feedback with over 50 buys and sales and we don't won't it spoilt now...:-(

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The simplest test is to play some music and then put your hand over the tweeter. You should easily hear if there is a difference.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if the speaker is biwireable, then simply only wire up the tweeter, if you hear the noise coming through then its working (altho dont turn up the volume too loud, a tweeter on its own is actually quite a nasty sound..lol)...

if the speaker isnt biwireable, well, get a test tone thats around 10Khz and play it...if it plays then its ok.....if not then its bust....

quite often if the tweeter is working in the sense it isnt totally dead, but has problems, then you will usually hear a buzzing sound on vocals in the higher range.....ie child screaming or women talking excitedly.......or that high pitch guy in the rock band, justin something or other..lol

edit: or what he said above......lol....got in while i was typing this lot.....

4. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for your quick reply's guys.

Yes the speaker is biwireable, do you think that's how he has tested it?

But I cannot test the speaker, as it is sold. But I've said to the guy if he is not happy with the purchase just return it and we will refund the money. I wouldn't mind but it only went for £40 in the end. I was gutted. At least if it comes back I'll know how to test it.

Like I said I've used it for years for music and films And I've never noticed anything wrong with it...:-(

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    if it's biwireable and he has only one input and no bridging link in place then there would be be no output from the tweeter or the bass driver.

6. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The bridging link is there. Never took it out..Just waiting for him to get back to me...