How can you make an a wire-less link to speakers?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Ste7en, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    My wife wants to set up her old NAD hi-fi in our living room but she doesn't want wires everywhere and she would like small, unobtrusive speakers.

It is currently set up in the conservatory with an old pair of Tannoy Sixes speakers.

Is there a gizmo you can attach to the back of it to transmit the audio to a pair of wireless speakers?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Moved to speaker section, maybe better than music streamers

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,649
    Its always the way with the other half , They dont want wires , bless them but they dont realise you need power for these things and that can only be done with wires.

The reason you dont see gizmos like you want is because they are invariably rubbish , the design brief of any source and amp combination is to get the signal off the media in as pure a way as possible so as not to alter the original recording.

This "best effort" signal is then presented to the speaker terminals.

For wireless speakers , you are then required to take this "best effort" signal , send it through an analog to digital converter , send it over the air on a carrier , recover the signal from the carrier , and then through a digital to analog converter to present it to the speakers.

There is simply no way to do that without significantly dropping the sound quality.

Its best to stick with wires for speaker connections , have you considered D-Line trunking , its cheap and with a little attention can hide wires very well.

http://www.d-line.co.uk/trunking-in-the-home

The only real "wireless" systems of any quality are the type where the original data off digital media is sent over wi-fi , and the DAC and amp are at the target location , attached to the speakers by wires !!
    This would be something like a nas unit attached to your wi-fi hub , and something like a Sonos unit connected to an amp and speakers whereever it is you want the music played.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Thought as much :)

The amp has terminals for two speaker sets. I've said I can wire a set up in the kitchen and another in the living room or conservatory and leave the system where it is (and switch from one to the other) but she doesn't like the idea of it.

I suggested one of those Ruark R4i systems to her, which would probably cost as much as any of the options available and they do look quite nice.