How can SKY HD work without an HDMI socket??

rooney26

Standard Member
Hi Guys wondering if you can help. I have a Sky HD ready tv however i have just found it that it wont work with sky HD as it doesnt have a HDMI socket.

I dont really fancy buying a new TV but is there anyway around this problem, such as a DVI to HDMI adaptor?

Any advise would be much appreciated, thanks!

whsturm

Standard Member
Yes you can get a HDMI to DVI socket connector (Maplin do some and many other places - my projector similarly only has DVI input and not HDMI). But bear in mind that DVI only carries video (not sound) so you will probably need to run stereo cables from the SKY HD box into your TV too (unless you are listening through your amplifier via an optical cable in which case that won't be needed).

You will also need to match the output of the SKY HD box (either 720P or 1080i) to your display.

Hope this helps....

5to1

Hi Guys wondering if you can help. I have a Sky HD ready tv however i have just found it that it wont work with sky HD as it doesnt have a HDMI socket.

I dont really fancy buying a new TV but is there anyway around this problem, such as a DVI to HDMI adaptor?

Any advise would be much appreciated, thanks!

I've run it using a HDMI to DVI adapter in the past.

Not sure if Sky use HDCP as yet, if they do you'll need to ensure your TV's DVI port is HDCP compliant.

The other alternative would be to get hold of an old thompson box with component. But they are now out of production and were notrious for reliability issues. Moreover, theres no guarantee Sky won't limit output over component if content providers insist on HD output being encrypted.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
They have used HDCP from the beginning.
If yout TV has a VGA port you could try a HD Fury.

5to1

They have used HDCP from the beginning.
If yout TV has a VGA port you could try a HD Fury.

In which case the OP needs to ensure his DVI port is HDCP compliant. Or get a HD fury as you suggest.

Wasn't sure if they used HDCP, since the early boxes had component out. But I guess its easier to capture consistantly from a digital transport like HDMI/DVI, then an analogue one. Therefore using HDCP over HDMI probably still made sense to them.

rooney26

Standard Member
Thanks how would i be able to tell if my DVI port is HDCP compliant?

Would running stero cables from the HD box to the TV be a difficult thing or is it pretty simple?

Starburst

Distinguished Member

Would running stero cables from the HD box to the TV be a difficult thing or is it pretty simple?

Read the TV manual;)

The DVI socket should have an associated audio in which can be used to take the audio from say a SKY+HD via phonos with an adaptor (mini jack perhaps).

sorry what is a HD fury?

Google is your friend:)

It basically allows the HDCP from a source to be recognised but then passes on the video/audio to the non HDCP input on a display.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

If your TV has the HD ready logo it has to be hdcp compliant. It's part of the required minimum specification to be allowed to display the EICTA HD ready logo. There will be a audio input socket associated with the dvi socket, often these are the tiny stereo sockets (3.5mm), rca phono to 3.5mm stereo are widely available

rooney26

Standard Member
P.S if i go with the DVI>HDMI cable (seen some in maplins) is there going to be less picture quality compared to connecting the Sky box directly to a HDMI socket?

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
no, HDMI and DVI are the same thing when it comes to video. HDMI is just DVI+Sound.

5to1

P.S if i go with the DVI>HDMI cable (seen some in maplins) is there going to be less picture quality compared to connecting the Sky box directly to a HDMI socket?

Also, last time I checked maplins DVI>HDMI cables were pretty expensive. You may want to check online before buying from Maplins.

John

Why not get a standard HDMI-HDMI cable and a HDMI-DVI-D adapter , rather than a HDMI-DVI cable. That way, when/if you ever get a TV with a HDMI socket you don't need to but another new cable. Just remove the adapter.

Edit . don't go to maplins $$

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I got a HDMI-DVI adapter from Tesco.

I think there's a good chance the TV's not HDCP compliant though.

Leander

My first TV which I used for HD didn't have HDMI but I was able to use component which is again only for video.
Unfortunately, the only HD boxes with component out I believe are early Thomsons. Your post suggests that there's no component so all of this is probably irrelevant but you never know.

Leander

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom