How can I work out if my signal is strong enough for freeview HD

mitul

Standard Member
Hi

Thinking of getting a freeview HD box. Our current aerial is in the loft with a amplified splitter. Its pointed at Emley Moor and we should get HD. How can I use the signal info on our current freeview box to work out if my loft aerial is sufficient to pick up HD?

Mitul

Rodders53

IF your DVB-T box displays a signal strength for UHF signals it can't actually use (e.g. analogue, DVB-T2) then you can get a 'feel' for the received signal by manually tuning to the HD mux frequency --- ch39 for Emley Moor. {Humax PVRs do this, for example.}

This site Digital UK - Postcode checker will - in 'trade view' give a detailed prediction of reception for your location - the higher the numbers the better and green is good, of course.

Mathscool

Standard Member
I had my signal tested by the Aeriel installer. He said it was fine, but the freeview signal still 'jumps' and 'stalls'.

Mathscool

Standard Member
Yes, that's good advice. I did and they stuck a meter on the end of the cable and said it was fine, but the signal in my area is generally now strong

mitul

Standard Member
Thanks for the input, just got a humax from comet and its picking up all the channels. Aerial can stay in the loft!

figrin_dan

Am I just gullible?
Apart from saying "It's fine", did he show you his readings and explain them? Plenty of installers can only measure SD and just assume that HD works as well.

Rodders53

Mathscool - if the signal was 'fine' then the Freeview reception shouldn't have problems. However, it is possible for external sources of interference to disrupt reception.... poorly suppressed electrical switches (fridges, lights, heating) and sometimes poorly suppressed vehicles (mopeds, often) can cause problems.

Electrical interference is often more of an issue where the signals are weaker.

Put your address into the link I gave (trade view) in post #3 and see if you have good predictions (green) or poor amber/red/none. It shoul also show you how things will alter as switchover occurs in your location.

Lastly - different receivers DO have different performance characteristics. Some will work better than others in the presence of weak signals.

Trending threads

Top Bottom