Answered How can I wirelessly connect my sky dish and Sky+ box

patersonangus

Novice Member
Hi,

I was looking for some advice on how I might connect my Sky+ box and my sky dish? I can run the cable from the dish inside, but getting it to the TV is pretty challenging.

Is there a way to do this wirelessly?

Many thanks,

Angus

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Short but sweet, ok. Crazy that technology isn't around. Thanks for letting me know.
It was a bit short. ;)

The problem is you are not sending just one signal down the wire but all the signals for a given polarisation and frequency, in effect around a quarter of all the Sky channels down that wire. If you imagine the bandwidth required to cover all of those you need a big system (like a mini satellite dish). The alternative is that you decode it somewhere but then you need the box to do the decoding and send it via a wireless HDMI transmitter. They have never been very reliable.

neilball

Sky Q setup allows their mini boxes to operate over wifi - the main Q box still needs cabling to the dish though.

patersonangus

Novice Member
It was a bit short. ;)

The problem is you are not sending just one signal down the wire but all the signals for a given polarisation and frequency, in effect around a quarter of all the Sky channels down that wire. If you imagine the bandwidth required to cover all of those you need a big system (like a mini satellite dish). The alternative is that you decode it somewhere but then you need the box to do the decoding and send it via a wireless HDMI transmitter. They have never been very reliable.
Haha, appreciate the detail! At least I know now.

patersonangus

Novice Member
Sky Q setup allows their mini boxes to operate over wifi - the main Q box still needs cabling to the dish though.
That's good to know, and could actually be a solution but I live in France and I'm just using this to get UK freeview. I've got an old box from my dad as he's upgraded to Q. I think it'll be a while before I can get a Q box.

Interesting how they can do that. Seems the technology would exisit in that case to do something similar with some aftermarket hardwear.

Once again, cheers both for the replies.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
In the case of Sky Q the main box has around 12 tuners in which do all the work. The Sky Q main box then streams on demand the required programme to the Sky Mini. So it is really streaming like Netflix etc rather than a conventional tuner.

The difference is you sending a compressed signal which requires a lot less bandwidth. The HDMI devices require bandwidth several orders of magnitude higher which is why wireless tend to be hit and miss.

TJT1

The signal from the LNB is in the region of 10 - 12 GHz which would pose a bit of a problem, and as others have said, you need to get a tone and DC 12V and DC switching to the LNB.
Not really practical when a lump of coax will do the job just fine and dandy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom