How can I watch SKY in communal flat block?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by msrx7mh3, Aug 16, 2004.

1. msrx7mh3

msrx7mh3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi folks,
    I would appreciate your help on the following topic:

I live in rented accommodation within a conversion of a listed building. I have TV connected via a "normal" RF socket in the living room; however, when tuning the television, I have found a SKY TV demo channel.

Therefore, I suspect that I may have access to satellite TV- but I can't figure out how to access it!

Can anybody provide assistance/ suggestions?

(PS- I can't affix a sky dish outside my flat since my landlord would get into hot water; but I have a sky digibox available at my parents that I could use if the need arose)

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would appear that your building TV distribution system is connected to a digital receiver which is tuned to the channel you saw. To access a different programme you'll have to locate the Digibox and change channel number.

If you have a window with a clear view South South East you may be able to position a dish close to it and get a signal from 28.2'E of S for your Sky Digibox. A south facing balcony would be ideal.

3. msrx7mh3

msrx7mh3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So, I undersdtand that to mean:

- I won't be able to utilise the existing infrastructure
    - Provided I have access to a window facing SSE I might be able to get away with mouting a disk on a table or somethign and pipe the satellite in that way?

Thanks for your input.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you got cable?

5. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is probably the most likely scenario. You may have a communal cable distribution system in your flat - and the analogue cable channels are being broadcast which can be picked up by your standard TV (at least for the non-encrypted channels)

6. msrx7mh3

msrx7mh3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks guys for the comments.

- So does this mean I have some chance of geting cable tv, provided I have a suitable decoder and card? How can I verify this?

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you ask your landlord, building management company, or look in your lease agreement to find out what facilities you are paying for? (It seems odd that you didn't do this before moving in!)

8. msrx7mh3

msrx7mh3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The tenancy agreement only provisions for terrestial television viewing, hence why prior to this discovery I didn't make any queries.

I am going to ask the owner if they have had any use of a cable system via this flat, but given my landlord is a scientist based in the USA its going to take time for him to get back to me. In the meantime though, I would like to try to figure how to utilise this system.

9. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps someone else in the block has a working sky system, and is trying to backfeed into the communal wiring to feed an RF outlet in another room / flat ?