How can I use my Sony Commander Remote w/ my HTPC?

A

Amino

ok, so I've been reading more into hooking my computer upto my HDTV. I'm not really sure it's going to work, but I'm gonna try it when I get home from school.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of replacing my Sony DVD player with my computer. The only thing is that I want to be able to use my remote with it. I have the Sony Commander remote, with the Touch-Screen and everything. It's really nice and i don't wanna have to set it aside and use my keyboard everytime I want to watch a DVD.

Is there some sort of hardware I need to get to have it work properly? What else would you guys recommend? The PC is basically just going to be running games, internet/email, and movies. The reason I'm not going to use it for anythign is simply because I cant really think of anything else I use my computer for! But if there are other things people use HTPCs for, let me know! :D

Have a look at Girder remote control interface and the IRman infra-red receiver.

http://www.girder.nl

http://www.evation.com/

You also might like to consider a Philips Pronto remote and then simply download preconfigured girder files to run Winamp, TheaterTek and other common HCPC software without having to reconfigure it for the Sony remote.

Here's some HCPC uses that I know of:

Some people buy huge hard disks (over 200Gb) and rip their DVD's onto the disk so it becomes a sort of video jukebox. You don't even have to get out of your seat to change movies!

Load up your entire CD collection as MP3 files in a music jukebox.

Get broadband internet and download movie trailers (some are in ultra high definition)

Download DIV-X movies (pay per view)

Browse the 'net on the big screen

Check email

Play internet games (massive multiplayer RPG games are becoming very popular) in surround sound on a big screen :)

Play CD's & DVD's (obviously!)

Use it for all manner of home automation tasks - have a look at X10 automation systems for anything from controlling the lights inside and outside your house to controlling the heating, alarm system, timer functions like switching on the kettle so it's boiled by time you go to make the tea during the ad break, operating motorised blinds/curtains/garage doors projector screens, view CCTV etc etc.

You'll soon have a house like Bill Gates :D

Owenw

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom