1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I use a Creative ZEN in my car

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by MalcolmD, Dec 1, 2003.

1. MalcolmD

MalcolmD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hope someone can suggest some options to be able to use my Zen MP3 player in my car.

I used to use one of those cassette adapters for linking the unit to play back through the car stereo. However my new car only has a CD Player so thats no good.

Would be really useful if anyone else has experience of trying to do the same thing.

Thanks

2. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You can use an FM transmitter or an FM modulator. Basically it plugs into the headphone socket and you tune the radio into it. There's a number of them out there on the market. Do a search on google.co.uk and it should point you in the right direction. Sound quality is not that good (and technically it is illegal to be using an FM transmitter, so the modulator would be better). I'm about to get one of these for my iPod.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You could see if your HU has line in, some on the market do, then you just need a jack>2 phono lead connecting. FM modulators plug into your aerial socket on the back of HU so it will need removing.

4. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone know any HU around the 150 mark that has Line in ?...
    Cheers

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No idea mate best contact your local ICE dealer get some model no's and shop around.

6. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ok ive had a look at this and there are some options IF you are buying a new, or have one of the following units

Sony have a add on unit XA-300 that provides multiple input sources (including USB !) and includes passthrough for a CD changer. price about £80 can be used with any ULINK head unit.

Pioneer do a similar thing for most units, about £80 again

Blaupunk (sp?) do a lead that is basically two phono to a plug into the back of the unit, most units have two of these but some only have one thus you cant add a changer. Lead about £30

Same for kenwood, Im going to get a MP3 cd player (currently on offer £130) and a lead that goes into the CD changer port (£29)

I think Alpine do the same leads for both types of connector.

Thats your options for basic multiple input into some headunits.

7. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hutters,

As a fellow iPodonian let me know what you think of the Icelink kit, I have an Alpine head unit which I want to link it into but I can't find anyone who does or is doing a digital version, It must be possible. Any thoughts?

Regards

Monkey Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vive le apple!!
    Vive le iPod!!

Gotta get rid of this beige box!

8. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi - my missus has a year old BMW 3 Series 325ci sport convertible... this has the bog standard BMW stereo/cd system...
    She also has a 30Gb Creative Zen Xtra (couple of years old) that has USB 2.0 and a headphone out socket...

Anyone know of a simply solution so that she can listen to the Creative through the BMW's stereo system?

I have looked at the FM transmitters but unsure if they are ok with the Creatives... all seem to focus on the iPod and I don't know therefore if they have generic connectors... (prod specs on wbsites are awful)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cheers

EDIT: just found this which might just do the trick http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=57&product=11427 - creative belkin tunecast!!

10. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,393
    I bought a cheap FM transmitter off ebay (around £7). It hooks into the headphone out on my ZEN Micro (and Archos) and into the cigarette lighter socket in the car.

Just tune your radio to the fm frequency, press play on the ZEN and you're away!! Simple as that!

11. Edward Catflap

Edward Catflap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does the cd player have a multi-changer/aux socket in the back? If so then you can probably get a lead like this that I got for my Kenwood car stereo as presume other brands make them too.
    http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/auxin.asp

One end into the back of head unit, the other into headphone socket of Zen & away you go - thousands of songs at your fingertips. If you live in a town/city, I'd be very wary of taking the FM transmitter route, as I tried that & there's way too much interference from pirate radio & from being in a built up area.

12. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Good advice. I've tried a couple of FM transmitters and whilst they do work the sound quality is much poorer than a direct connection and interference from other FM transmissions can be a pain

13. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,568
  14. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That looks fantastic, but seems to be only available in the US. Anyone know of a "plays for sure" in-car solution for the UK?