how can i transfer SKY+ recording to my computer.

E

erneboy

how do I link sky+ to computer???
What soft were do I need were can I down load, ??

and

What leads do I need???

thanks

how do I link sky+ to computer???
What soft were do I need were can I down load, ??

and

What leads do I need???

thanks

Your are not able to copy it as in drag and drop but what you can do is connect up a dvd recorder and dump it all onto dvds.;)

If not get a tv capture card and have hours of fun capturing the video from your sky+ box in real time. :D

Your are not able to copy it as in drag and drop but what you can do is connect up a dvd recorder and dump it all onto dvds.;)

If not get a tv capture card and have hours of fun capturing the video from your sky+ box in real time. :D

Is the "tv capture card" above the same as a TV tuner card which enables you to watch TV on your computer? For example:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...tionKey=11138,45200000&InMerch=1#imagegallery

Does the sky+ box connect through the aerial socket, as I can't find Scart inputs listed? The card has composite - is this scart? The card also appears to have s video input. Can I use this? Which is best!!!

I have the same problem as the person who posted here in that I want to make DVD's on my computer from the very occasional programme that I want to keep & which I will be recording on my new - fitted this Thursday - Sky+ box.

Chris

IMHO the easiest/simplest/less-hassle way is simply to do, as has been suggested, and connect the Sky+ box to a DVD recorder (assuming you have one).
Press Play on the Sky+ and Record on the DVD recorder and that's it.
With the PC method you'll have to transfer the recordings from the box to the PC and then convert the files and burn to DVD. Endless hours of fun -not:eek:

You have found the problem in one go. I don't have a DVD recorder other than in my computer.

I had assumed - naively I now think - that I could relatively simply connect my Sky+ box to my computer, download the file/TV programme to the computer hard disk & get Nero to sort out the burn.

I guess not. What is involved in the "endless hours" and "convert the files". As I said there are very few TV programmes that I would want to keep so for the few a year I hope the problem is not significant.

Chris

You have found the problem in one go. I don't have a DVD recorder other than in my computer.

I had assumed - naively I now think - that I could relatively simply connect my Sky+ box to my computer, download the file/TV programme to the computer hard disk & get Nero to sort out the burn.

I guess not. What is involved in the "endless hours" and "convert the files". As I said there are very few TV programmes that I would want to keep so for the few a year I hope the problem is not significant.

Chris

YES YOU ARE RIGHT

A TV tuner card is not what you need. It will degrade the quality even further.

You are going to have to spend some money if you want to do this. Some kind of video capture solution like the Pinnacle Dazzle range.

The Dazzle DVD recorder will even record directly to dvd if you want, doing away with the need for conversion. It has composite, or S-Video input for the video. You can get a scart to composite + audio lead.

I cant remember if the Sky+ boxes have an SVideo output, but they probably do. Use this one for a slightly better quality recording than composite.

Alternatively, theres another thread current talking about a device called easycap. This seems to capture full resolution video.
The captured video can be loaded into nero and burnt to dvd. I should point out that I've never used easycap so you might want to try and find reports to see if the quality is any good.

i went out and bought a usb to usb cable today plugged it in and expected wizard to the rest i was wrong! my addiction to family guy is taking up all the hard drive on our sky+ box somebody please help!!

If you mean you plugged into the USB port on the Sky box - forget it! It serves no useful purpose.
(Some will have the 5V for charging phones etc, but that's it.)

You could always remove the hard drive from your Sky+ box, and copy the .TS files from it to a PC using a USB caddy and the excellent Copy+ program.

VLC will play a raw transport stream file.
You can also convert the .TS file to an AVI or MPEG using any of the low cost converters available.

BUT - (Isn't there always a but !) this will only work with the 'free' satallite channels. You won't be able to watch any movies, premium sports channels and such as the Sky box decrypts these in realtime when you play them. That's why you need a valid subscription to watch your recordings.

Last edited:
If you mean you plugged into the USB port on the Sky box - forget it! It serves no useful purpose.
(Some will have the 5V for charging phones etc, but that's it.)
any other ideas mate???? i dont really want to start stripping the sky box the missus will kill me!!!

Read the second post in this thread!

i'm pretty new to this site mate and deem myself as a bit behind on the tech terms how do i read the post to the second thread?? sorry!

i'm pretty new to this site mate and deem myself as a bit behind on the tech terms how do i read the post to the second thread?? sorry!
yeah figured it now thread meaning paragraphs like #2 der thanks!!

Scroll back up to the top of this page and read the 2nd post (reply). All replies (posts) are numbered in order. The number appears in the top right of the reply box.
It probably sounds obvious to us, but if you've never used forums before the lingo can throw you a little.

By the way, I agree that the only way to copy programs from your SKy box is in realtime to a DVD recorder.
The best method of connection for this is RGB scart.

That means you need to use the 'TV' out connector on the Sky box (not the VCR one) and connect it to a DVD recorder with an RGB scart input.
You'll then need to make sure the Sky box is configured to output RGB from its TV output, and the DVD Recorder is configured to receive RGB from it's input.

Using a composite output via scart or even S-Video will produce a significantly inferior result. You need to be working with an RGB signal.

Last edited:
Have a look at the following quote takin from Sky+ Information and Advice

Exporting of recordings as data files from your Sky+ box is not supported. The USB sockets on Sky boxes are non-functional and you can't copy off recorded programmes from Sky+ onto a USB stick, or stream off content as data to a PC. If you want to get your recordings transferred from your Sky+ box, here are your options:

1. Connect via SCART to a stand-alone DVD recorder - see our FAQ entry
  2. Consider something like the Dazzle Video Creator or the Pinnacle PVT Video Transfer, which lets you copy video content to a PC via USB.
  3. Connect the output of your Sky+ box to a PC via a PC TV tuner, and record onto PC that way. See our TV on your PC page

Have a look at the following quote takin from Sky+ Information and Advice

Why, eighteen months down the line, have you added this link? All this is doing is confirming what people were saying over three years ago when the question was first asked.

To get video onto your PC from your Sky box, either use a TV card and connect the Sky box output to the TV tuner card input, or use a DVD recorder in the middle, archive from Sky box to DVD recorder hard drive using scart, then copy the video from the DVDR hard drive to either DVD disc or USB, then put the DVD disc, or the USB pen, into the PC and capture it that way.

I, for one, was happy to see this thread as I was about to post a similar question. My SkyHD box was updated today and now contains a NETWORK menu with IP Address.

Can I expect something positive to happen if I cable the Sky box to my internet router? Any pertinent info would be of great interest please

If you have Sky broadband max, you will be able to make use of Anytime+ via your Sky box's network card connected to your Sky router.

There are many posts and threads on the subject of this "update".
The Network option is for those who have Sky broadband to connect the receiver to the router in order to receive the new Anytime+ service which, when activated by a call to Sky, streams and downloads programmes of your choice.

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but it does contain half an answer to a question i would love answering.

Paul McG said:
You could always remove the hard drive from your Sky+ box, and copy the .TS files from it to a PC using a USB caddy and the excellent Copy+ program.

I am worried that my box is about to fail so can I copy the .TS file or files from the hard drive of the Sky Box onto my computer and then when I get the new box, can I then copy these files onto the new hard drive.

If folks want to give further advice about adding a bigger drive then please feel free to speak up.. My Sky Box is a newish Sky HD box bit NOT the Terra byte version.

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but it does contain half an answer to a question i would love answering.

I am worried that my box is about to fail so can I copy the .TS file or files from the hard drive of the Sky Box onto my computer and then when I get the new box, can I then copy these files onto the new hard drive.

If folks want to give further advice about adding a bigger drive then please feel free to speak up.. My Sky Box is a newish Sky HD box bit NOT the Terra byte version.

If your HD box is anything other than a Thomson then it has "Darwin" firmware on it and you will need software called ExPVR as Copy+ will not cope with the Darwin file structure.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply and I am merely the messenger regarding this request and will pass this on to my son (I'm practically bed bound and cannot get to the box)

If it is Thomson then will a straight forward copy be possible? In the meantime I will do check out the ExPVR software to carry out this task :)

Thanks very much,
John

What problems is he having that make it likely that the machine is about to fail?
These machines are very reliable and it shouldn't be presenting any problems at all.

Hi Logiciel,
Good question and it might be me panicking, this week-end we have had very poor broadband speed. I contacted Sky and was informed our telephone line was very noisey and after several tests they decided we had a faulty NT5 faceplate. After we put the phone down my son commented that they had not tried eliminating anything else that might be responsible.

The instant we disconnected the Internet connection from the HD box (for Anytime viewing) there was a marked difference.

I then contacted Sky and again after more tests they agreed the issue was probably emanating from our Sky box. They are sending out an engineer to confirm this and my query is solely belt and braces.. I do not want to be in a position of saying,

'If only!'

I hope I have explained myself and when we disconnected that Internet lead from the Sky box the noise disappeared.

Prior to the visit I will be getting my son to hopefully see if we have a different lead to try. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom