How can I test the BT cabling

dgbeale

Standard Member
Reaction score
My parents want broadband installed, but the cabling and sockets in the house look old.

Are there some basic checks I can do so that I know everything will be ok, BT say their number is 'broadband ready' but I have my doubts.

I recall mention of a test telephone number that would give results back, anyone know if this is still available?

Thanks

David

That would only test the line, not the internal cabling.

The best thing to do - once you have the broadband connection in place - is to try it at the master socket with all the other cabling disconnected. You can log onto the router and see what the noise level and sync speed is.

You then reconnect the rest of the cabling and place the router where you want it. If the noise level is worse or the sync speed is poorer, then you know you need to give a bit of attention to the house wiring.

There is no test that you can do to BT's wiring. In order to test a line BT need to set kit up at both ends of your local loop (line).

What you can do is use this site BT Broadband to find an estimate of the likely speed based on the line length - as the crow files. It does not take into account the actual geography of the pair nor their quality. It tends towards pessimism. Use a telephone number NOT a Post Code. The Post Code checker is even more inaccurate.

Next there are two parts to the wiring: BT's and the Subscribers. The wiring is BT's responsibility up to the back of the Master Socket and the sub's from there on.

There a many threads her on how to improve your internal wiring.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom