Question How can I tell which SKY wifi adaptor I need?

muffking

I have a non wifi SKY HD receiver that I've had connected via ethernet for the VOD services.
I now need to connect via WiFi and it takes a USB adaptor, but I don't know which one to buy. Can anyone steer me in the right direction or do I need to find the model of my receiver first?

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
It will work with virtually any WiFi bridge (I use both a Sky adaptor on one box and a Netgear on the other). Sky's own adaptors are available in two types - one connected to the Sky box by usb and the others via RJ45 ethernet connector - both types will work with non WiFi Sky boxes. Sky's own adaptors are probably the easiest to setup as all you will need to do is connect them and enter your network password via the Sky box - other makes may require setting up first by attaching to a PC.

Sky's adaptors only have one ethernet output to connect to stbs whereas most other makes have 4 so can also be connected to other devices - Freeview HD boxes, smart TVs etc.

I am not sure but I believe Sky's usb adaptor derives it power from the usb connector whereas the ethernet connected ones have "wallwart" power supplies. Other makes are similarly available in both types.

So basically do you want more than one output? If no then Sky adaptors are the best/easiest choice.

snaithg

I have a non wifi SKY HD receiver that I've had connected via ethernet for the VOD services.
I now need to connect via WiFi and it takes a USB adaptor, but I don't know which one to buy. Can anyone steer me in the right direction or do I need to find the model of my receiver first?

Have you tried asking SKY Customer Support to supply you with one, they will often supply one free of charge. If necessary tell them that you are moving the location of the TV to somewhere where wired Ethernet is unavailable, so that wifi would be essential!

Graham.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom