• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How can I tell if its the inverter or the backlight failing?

ProDave

More details, make and model of set, inverter details etc please.

Typically there are 8 CCFL tubes. it would be unlikely for all 8 to fail. If it's a lamp problem, then you would see a dark band on the screen.

Most inverters will start up even with a fault, then trip a second or 2 later. Use that brief period to check if the screen is uniformly illuminated.

A lot of inverter faults can be fixed. I've just repaired mine which was simply due to some dry solder joints. I re flowed a lot of joints, particularly those on the transformers, lamp connectors etc, and it's working fine once more.

xtr3m3

Hi a common symptom of a failing backlight is a reddish/pink screen tinge on startup.

And this is caused because the voltage is dropped too low, right?

Attachments

• philips_1000v.jpg
    philips_1000v.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 317

JohnyM

Unfortunately I haven’t got a clue. I had the red tint problem with a dell inspiron laptop a few years back. I was told the red tint was down to either a failing ccfl backlight tube or a bad inverter. Either way the screen would need to be replaced and it eventually was under warrantee.

xtr3m3

Unfortunately I haven't got a clue. I had the red tint problem with a dell inspiron laptop a few years back. I was told the red tint was down to either a failing ccfl backlight tube or a bad inverter. Either way the screen would need to be replaced and it eventually was under warrantee.

I have send dozens of different brand TVs to service because if those sounds and always it has been the power supply.

ezegyNAD

Standard Member
More details, make and model of set, inverter details etc please.

Typically there are 8 CCFL tubes. it would be unlikely for all 8 to fail. If it's a lamp problem, then you would see a dark band on the screen.

Most inverters will start up even with a fault, then trip a second or 2 later. Use that brief period to check if the screen is uniformly illuminated.

A lot of inverter faults can be fixed. I've just repaired mine which was simply due to some dry solder joints. I re flowed a lot of joints, particularly those on the transformers, lamp connectors etc, and it's working fine once more.
Its an LG M2294D
When it starts up the screen is flickering and dim. At first the flickering went away and the screen was perfect after that.
Nowdays it flickers, then goes black.
Theres no red/pink tinge or noise as far as i can tell.
I guess its the inverter then, thx for the replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom