1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i tell a copied DVD??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by soni, Mar 31, 2005.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys!

I've been purchasing a lot of DVD's off of Ebay recently, some at a very good price!! However, i'm concerned that i could be buying copied DVD's, which i obviously don't want to be as i've got a 46" DLP, and this would be defeating the object of buying a large screen TV.

The covers seem to be of a thick laminated/plastic card (which seems right), and the label on the disc itself also seems to be very good quality. But, i've also seen listed on the Ebay website people offering 1000's of newly released DVD cover templates that can be printed as covers/disc labels, so i'm therefore worried that they could be very good copies. I've also been buying some DVD's at bootsales recently, and although i can spot the dodgy copies when there in plastic sleeves with really poor quality photocopied inserts, i'm a little concered about the others that are in plastic cases with really well printed fronts on laminate card and clear printed disc labels.

Is there any fool proof way of telling if there copies or originals? Somebody i spoke to the other day said they think there is a code on the disc centre that you can log on to a particular website and type it in to check its Authenticity?

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The number you are referring to is the IFPI number of which there are usually 2, one on the plastic centre of the disk, the other on the inner hub of the disk (they are quite small).

Not sure how you can check it out - but if you don't have IFPI numbers, it may be a fake. I checked 2 DVD's quickly "Closer" and "The Scarlet Letter" and both have 2 IFPI numbers although both were on the inner hub, not the plastic. I guess the plastic number is more for CD's then.......

3. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All I can say if they are a purple colour on the underside of the disc they are copies, but also they could be imported from the far east if they are silver or gold on the underside "as are real dvd's" . You find the imported ones usally have none or very little special features on them. And If you get them very early before they are released, you might find they are a "cinema job" or no DD5.1 or both, I would be very carefull buying them off Ebay. To me they do sound like the imported ones from the far east, you also find with these they don't have an inlay card inside the dvd case. Hope that helps? :hiya:.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,188
    Its easy to spot homemade pirate copies as they are purple on the written side but pressed bootlegs are getting harder and harder to tell apart from the original. Things to look out for are holographic DVD9 logos on the cover and a DTS labels along the top of the case, these are the commen things present on bootlegs. Another good test is to put the discs in your computer and load up DVD Decrypter, it will tell you info about the disc like what regions it is encoded for and if it isnt coded (which most pirates arent) then you will know you have a bootleg.

Also, if you are worried about your bootlegs being bad quality then bootleg DVD9s will be identical to the original so you will be getting the same picture and sound quality and for some this is enough to justify buying a bootleg but to me its nots and I will always get the original product even if its costs double or triple the price.

5. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Sadmuppet, i'll have to check out those numbers and compare the E-Bay ones to the shop purchased ones :smashin:

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Owey: Thanks for your reply, now you mention it - non of the sealed ones have any in-lay cards! The only one thats had an inlay card was a used one and it was quite badly scratched - but did still work ok.

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Indiana Jones: Don't want to appear totally thick, but what is DVD9 and DVD Decrypter? :confused:

8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    DVD9 - Dual Layered DVD (it's named because it can hold 9gb of data)

DVD Decrypter - Program used to remove the protection from DVD's. Can display region code of the disk and protection mechanism encoded on the disk.

Only answered as Indy wasn't online :)

9. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks SadMuppet for your prompt response :smashin: - Indy said to insert the disc into my pc and load up DVD Decrypter which will then display the region coding if genuine, or no region coding could prove its not, but is DVD Encrypter a freeware download or would i need to purchase this?

10. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
  11. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks M8, i'll give it a try when i get home from work - looks like i'll be able to find out once and for good whether i've been had over by the little blighters!! :clap:

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,188
    So how did things go, did you test your discs?

13. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes thanks, thats a blinking good program, it allows you to make 'back ups' of your originals to :rolleyes:

All the ones i've tested so far, have been region coded, so it looks like these are originals!.:smashin:

14. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks to all you guys for recommending Dycrypter.

I tried it on all of my current DVD's i had at that time and they were all region coded, however i purchased I Robot off EBAY last week, and received it about two days later.

I put it in my Denon 2910 player to watch on my 46" screen, and the picture was absolutely terrible. There were halos all around each character, however when the camera zoomed into the characters i.e., when Will and that bird are in the lift, it was a lot better. But, i would say that 80% of the time it was terrible. I've allready watched this DVD a couple of weeks ago - i rented it from blockbuseter so knew what the quality should be like. Anyway, i've sent an E-Mail to the guy, and he replied as follows:-

'Hi im ever so sorry that standards have not been met. I could send out
    another copy if you like or i could refund you. it is entirely up to you.
    Should you want a refund could you please send the disc back to'

I obviously deleted the return address for obvious reasons - but note how he's trying to mislead me again! :devil: i.e., 'I could send you out another copy..........'. So i replied as follows:-

Thank you for your reply.

I would be willing to accept another DVD, NOT A COPY as referred to below - MUST BE ORIGINAL.

It was not referred to as a copy on E-Bay - and i am therefore not willing to accept a copy.

I have no preference on Region Coding - as i have a multi-region player - but it must be original, good condition, and be in English.

I look forward to hearing from you by return.

P.S. Once the replacement DVD has been received i will return the copy! :cool:

Anyway, i haven't heard back from him yet - but i was still so confused as to how it could be a copy as the quality of the DVD sleeve was fantastically glossy and well printed, no dodgy print at all, the sleeve was actually plastic card, and not paper, the actual DVD label was also of fantastic quality, and guess what?????????? It even had I-Robot engraved in the actual metal of the round ring in the centre on the bottom of the DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only give away was that the sleeve was about 2mm to big for the case, and it appeared a little rippled. Anyway, i've just put it in the PC, loaded up Dycrypter, and guess what? The region coding is displaying 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like its definately a copy then ah guys? Oh, and also the bottom of the CD is Gold!!!!!!!

15. outsider67

outsider67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could be mis-reading into it . the word copy is used quite freely to describe genuine discs , ie you might have a film a friend wants to see and you could say i've got a copy of that. just a thought from one kentish member to another

16. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kentish Member......

I know exactly what you mean m8 but i really do think this guy is meaning it to be misleading. He's had quite a bit of negative feedback left since i've bought my DVD (shame he didn't have it before i bought it) and i don't think he's got anything else apart from copies. Copies are getting so much harder to check now. At bootsales you have quite a lot of chinese guys and english guys selling DVD's in only sleeves with really dodgy copied fronts, and you can tell a mile off that their copies. But believe me, if i had seen this DVD in the flesh before i bought it i would have still bought it thinking it was original, as apart from the slightly rippled sleeve, everything was spot on. Every DVD i get from either EBAY or Bootsales claiming to be original, i check with Dycrypter to see if its Region Coded or RCE copy protected. I was advised this is a good way of confirming if its a copy of not. I bought Pumping Iron (25th Aniversay today from a bootsale) brand new, still wrapped for £4.00, got it home worrying if i've been done again or not, put it in the PC and its coded to Region 2 and RCE Copy Protected. Looks like i got a bargain - do love a bargain! :)