How can I share large files with friends?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using 'BT Digital Vault' for this purpose, but it's simply rubbish, completely flaky, tech supports a joke and BT do not seem interested in fixing it.

Can anyone suggest something similar to allow me to share up about 2-5Gb, oh and if it's for free that would be a big bonus.

Thanks.

I'm afraid I can't answer your direct question, but I agree with you about DV. It's apparently based on some package they've imported from a Canadian company without properly understanding how it works. It's much more geared towards robust commercial use than towards ease of use in the consumer market.

One major issue I discovered was when I recently downgraded from BT Broadband Option 3 to Option 2. Option 3 comes with the Autobackup package, whereas with Option 2 it's a few £ a month. I'd used it to back up a few files, but when I downgraded it ceased to work. That was OK, because I knew about it and was expecting it. However, what isn't made clear is that without it you can't get at, or even delete, those files you'd put onto DV using it. BT told me that I'd have to either upgrade back to Option 3 or pay the £5 a month to get at my own files!! :eek:

In the end, I had to go via BT's chairman to get Autobackup revived for a week or so so that I could delete my files.

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, but I thought you might like to know in case you're planning something similar. Make sure all your Autobackup files are removed from DV before deactivating it.

Have a look at Dropbox.

+1 from me for Dropbox.

Just started using it. Very straightforward, easy to sign up to and free up to 2Gb.

I was also going to recommend Dropbox. It's so easy to use, has clients for Windows, OSX and Linux so everyone is covered. You can share everything or just certain shared folders.

https://www.getdropbox.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to MM, who ever you are on here :)

Gives me an extra 250MB of space. I can have up to four referrals to gain an extra 1GB in total. Comes in handy when I work from home :)

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't answer your direct question, but I agree with you about DV. It's apparently based on some package they've imported from a Canadian company without properly understanding how it works. It's much more geared towards robust commercial use than towards ease of use in the consumer market.

One major issue I discovered was when I recently downgraded from BT Broadband Option 3 to Option 2. Option 3 comes with the Autobackup package, whereas with Option 2 it's a few £ a month. I'd used it to back up a few files, but when I downgraded it ceased to work. That was OK, because I knew about it and was expecting it. However, what isn't made clear is that without it you can't get at, or even delete, those files you'd put onto DV using it. BT told me that I'd have to either upgrade back to Option 3 or pay the £5 a month to get at my own files!! :eek:

In the end, I had to go via BT's chairman to get Autobackup revived for a week or so so that I could delete my files.

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, but I thought you might like to know in case you're planning something similar. Make sure all your Autobackup files are removed from DV before deactivating it.

Thanks for your post. I could spend time recounting my tail of woe concerning BT Vault - but that would be just wasting more valuable time on what I can only describe as 'the biggest pile of sh*** in all of Christendom'.

My advice steer clear of BT Digital Vault!

Wow Dropbox - really really useful. I spent part of yesterday tinkering with this. Thanks again to AndyK.

Definitely worth a look if you haven't already. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom