How can I set up a wireless sound system for an iPod

peterday

Standard Member
Reaction score
We're hiring a room in a hotel for a party and want to have background music - loud enough to hear, but not so loud we can't talk :)

There are no speakers or sound system in the room and we can't run any wires/cables. There is no free WiFi in the hotel - or even a WiFi network!

We want to use an iPod as the sound source, and ideally have 3-4 speakers (Minimum 2) connected around the room wirelessly. It's important to try and get music at a similar volume all around the room - rather than just having speakers at one end.

As it's a one-off event, we don't want to spend more than £200 max.

Can anyone please suggest some solutions? The party's in just two weeks time!

Not for £200. The obvious solution is to buy some Apple Airport Express' and you will need one for each amp/speaker if you cannot wire the slave speakers of the main amps. You will also need a router to set up a wireless network to make it all work.

APPLE Airport Express at cheap prices | Pcworld

Don't understand why you cannot run any wires as a single amp and 4 speakers connected to the ipod is the obvious way to go and you could hire those from an AV company.

It's not possible to run wiring round the room - hotel won't allow due to safety concerns.

They've offered a 'hifi' type unit with amp and speakers that we could put at one end of the room - but that means it would have to be far too loud at that end for people to hear it well at the far end. My son says we should put all the older people with the worst hearing next to that unit and the younger ones with the best hearing at the other end! :)

Hire some kit, 200 squid seems too cheap to buy.

Or consider:

If you have a couple of old hifis (amp, radio and speakers in one). Find out whether an FM transmitter for an iPod will give you enough distance to reach each hifi unit. Basically you just use the radio on each hifi to pick up the FM channel that the iPod is broadcasting on (ie ur own mini radio station).

Hire some kit, 200 squid seems too cheap to buy.

Or consider:

If you have a couple of old hifis (amp, radio and speakers in one). Find out whether an FM transmitter for an iPod will give you enough distance to reach each hifi unit. Basically you just use the radio on each hifi to pick up the FM channel that the iPod is broadcasting on (ie ur own mini radio station).

Good idea. Thanks. But no longer have HiFi units with radios in them as standard.
Decided to try and run with a HiFi type unit (supplied by hotel) at one end of the room and some wireless speakers at the other end - I've ordered them and will try them out soon. My biggest concern is the volume, but they may at least help supplement the lack of music at one end of the room.

The speakers I ordered are from here Deluxe Indoor & Outdoor Wireless Speakers (with remote control): Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'd be very surprised if they don't introduce a delay so the music will be slightly out of sync.

It would be worth speaking to a local PA/disco hire company to see if they have a suitable solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom