1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I sell my Denon 3801

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by garrad, Aug 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to sell my Denon 3801 so I can upgrade to the 3803. How much should I be selling the 3801 and where should I sell it? (apart from Ebay)

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At some dodgy little hi-fi shop in Nottingham I saw an ex-demo one (this was about 3 weeks ago) selling for £300 (in Gold)...

Which was a pretty good price. I'd say in top condition you could probably get £250-300 for it on the Hardware Classifieds here, might get a bit more on Ebay though.

3. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi dimmy i just sold mine on sunday through the forums i got £275

jason:D

4. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God £275, that is so much less than I paid for it. Would you think that the 3803 is worth the extra £400?

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Pro Logic II alone (aswell as the other host of features the 3803 has that the 3801 has - such as better performance) I'd say yes.

However when you get the 3803 home in your Equipment Rack you'd never know your 3801 had left - they look identical.

6. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about a THX Select amp like the Pioneer VSX-D1011 THX 6.1 Receicer. Is that better than the 3803? Because I could maybe get that for £400 second hand.

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's certainately a capable receiver & sounds very good indeed with Movie soundtracks...

However I personally just prefer the 'Denon' sound, especially for music.

That's not going to help in your descision making I know, but the choice between these two is very subjective since both are very capable amps - if you don't have the extra £250 notes for the AVR3803, then the VSXD1011 is a very fine choice indeed (providing you can get it for the £400 you mention).

I'd lean towards the Denon, but it's your choice really.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    If you can't stretch to the AVR3803 why not get a s/h AVR3802. This has prologic II and is an admirable performer too. They seem to crop up for sale in the classifieds quite often.

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or there's the new AVR2803 which can be had for around £490 (see my thread in the Special Offers Forum).

10. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See I love my 3801 and I have a 7.1 version 1 Kef egg setup. Great for DTS 6.1 but of course no Dolby 6.1 which most of my 6.1 movies are in :(

Maybe it is worth it, but are Denon going to release a 3804 soon? I don't want to pay top quid for something that could be an old model really soon.

Maybe I could try sell my amp and my kef egg speakers and upgrade the whole lot to Kef Egg version 2 and the denon 3801. I'll have to see how the next couple months work out cash wise.

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garrad - I wouldn't bet on us seeing it until next year (the AVR3804). And there's been no major developments in the Sound Formats front so there's little chance that these models are going to become 'Old Hat' any time soon.

There's no point in upgrading to the 3802 really as it's the same receiver as the AVR3801, just with PLII.

It's to my understanding that the AVR3801 does support Dolby Digital EX, but there was a licensing problem (as with the 3802) so when you select the option on the receiver '6.1' is what shows up.

If you don't need the extra features that the 3803 offers over the 2803 (i.e. Video Upconvert & Audio Delay), then I'd suggest you stick with the AVR2803. It still has 7 channel amplification, aswell as the same Processing Chip from the AVR3803, and aside from the features I mentioned only really gives 15wpc to the AVR3803.

If you sold your AVR3801 for say £275, it'd be a mere £215 upgrade. And I wouldn't rush to replae your current eggs with the MKII version, however I'd consider replacing your subwoofer.

12. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok now I was sure my Denon 3801 when I bought it would play Dolby 6.1 but wasn't offical due to a licence issue as you state, but when I play a 6.1 dolby movie (Say the 6.1 THX setup such as on the Star Wars EP1 and EP2 discs) I here the Rear Left and Back Left together rather than being seperate like when i listen to a DTS 6.1.

Is there something I have to do to enable this?

As for the subwoofer I think your definatly right, its never sound quite right and always sounds off with the rest of the system, either too bassy or no bass at all, its never perfect no matter how much I tweek the system.

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it'd be a wasted investement spending a huge amount of money on the Kef MK2 Eggs when you can replace the subwoofer for something far better for a fraction of the cost and get a huge boost in performance.

The PSW2000 subwoofers (which is the one you'll have now with your Eggs) sell for around £100 in the Hardware Classifieds forum, which you could put toward a sub upgrade.

I'd say all in all for £500 you'd get a far better receiver & subwoofer which would give a fairly large performance boost. Subwoofers I'd recommend a Mission M5AS or - as many on the forums suggest - an MJ Acoustics Pro 100.