1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I record one channel and watch another?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sledwich, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sledwich

sledwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have a sky box with a separate sharp dv-hr300 which has a hard disk for pausing/recording live tv and a dvd writer builtin.

I understand that sky + will allow you to record one channel and watch another. Can anybody think of a way I can do this either with my current setup or is there anything I can add to enable this. I would prefer not to shell out for sky + considering that I have most of the technology already.

Any help much appreciated . Cheers :smashin:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Sky+ box has 2 tuners allowing you to watch one and record another...this would be the problem.

3. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    In a word ... no.

In order to watch a Sky programme whilst recording another Sky programme, without having Sky+, then you would have to do the following:

Install a dual LNB on your Sky dish.
    Run a second cable from the dish to your lounge.
    Buy a secondhand Digibox.
    Take out a second Sky subscription @£10 per month i.e. the card you need for the second digibox.

Then you could watch/record one Sky channel while watching another - because then you would have two digiboxes working independently of each other. But note you are picking up the second subscription charge at £10 per month, instead of the Sky+ charge @£10 per month.

There is no way around this. Sky are hot.. super hot... super, double, triple hot on this kind of thing. They're not half as daft as they appear.

4. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you already subscribe to two premium channels the £10 Sky+ charge would be waived. Other things to consider are

- the price of a Sky+ box is much higher than a second hand digibox
    - with two digiboxes you can watch two programmes at the same time. This is not possible with Sky+
    - locating two normal digiboxes in the same place will cause them to respond to the same remote control, which may cause different issues.

Wackojacko32

5. sledwich

sledwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks all for the advise - I think a second LNB and s/h digibox may be the way to go. Cheers.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Are you sure ? Once you've tried Sky+ you won't want to lose it :smashin:

7. sledwich

sledwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have seen it and was impressed but with the extra layout I dont actually get anything else for it apart from all in one box?

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well I love it, especially the "series link" feature, which I can set and forget, and the "instant rewind" which I thought I would never use before I got it, and which I couldn't be without now.

Sure, you can make something which approximates the functions of a Sky+ box, but it's a lot of hard work, and will be much harder to use in the long run. You can still use your DVD/HDD recorder for editing and archiving stuff that you want to keep long term.

9. sledwich

sledwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think the ease of use/view/rec is a BIG plus point on the +. On my sharp it does the job but it is not as easy to setup. Its single button on the live/pause function but getting a series link is not an option.

Silly question time but is it possible to just replace my existing box with a + box and everything else continues as before? Or have I got to sell my sole to murdock? :suicide:

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky will hit you with an installation charge, because there's extra wiring and a new LNB to be installed on the dish. The rest really depends on the channel package you're on. If it includes at least two premium channels (i.e. movies, sports), they won't charge you the £10/month for the Sky+ facilities.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Sky+ is very good and I couldn't go back to normal Sky now - and I don't even have the instant rewind switched on !

12. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can buy the boxes, LNB's and cable and install them yourself. The kit will be slightly cheaper, you can guarantee a PACE box and save installation charges. However, if anything goes wrong Sky will charge you £65 to come and put it right. Do so at your own risk!

Wackojacko32