How can I record HD Camcorder material onto Blu-Ray Disc via HDMI

manford7

Hi,

This may have been answered before so apologies if it has. I have a Canon HV20 Camcorder, records onto HD Digital Tape. It has DV output and HDMI output. I know Blu-Ray recorders (Panasonic) have started coming onto the market but I cant seem to figure how to get onto Blu-Ray disc.

The latest model Panasonic BTW-740 has no DV IN or HDMI IN. In fact a troll of the internet seems to suggest no Blu-Ray or HDD recorder has HDMI IN making it difficult for us consumers to record what we want unless we want to copy to DVD or worse VHS.

There seem to be some HDMI IN/OUT Far East machines but not with a Blu-Ray recorder in the same machine and certainly none of these machines exist here in UK/Europe to my knowledge.

I also suspect DV IN is lower quality than HDMI so really I would want to output via HDMI OUT and input via HDMI onto Blu-Ray disc.

Any ideas as to how to do this and if so what equipment is needed?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The DV output will run at HDV, so this will be HD, exactly as recorded. The HDMI output will be de-compressed from the same stream, so should look the same.

The reason you don't find many consumer machines with HDMI inputs is down to licensing of the format and the associated copy protection restrictions.

Your best bet is to use a PC fitted with an HDMI input card, then edit this and burn to Blu-ray. Check out Blackmagic designs.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
DV tape is not HD it is standard definition therefore there is no benefit of burning to bluray. I use an old Philips DVD recorder which has a firewire (DV in) connection. The tapes should be recorded unedited, in it's entirety onto a write once DVD, from this DVD you can import (rip) the video into your computer for editing. You should never wipe, record over or bin your original master DV tapes.
Sorry, this is incorrect. The Canon can record in HDV, which is 1080i 25Mbs, therefore, Hi-Def. The tapes and data rate are the same, but colour information is sacrificed in order to squeeze more luminance lines in.

Nic6

Sorry, this is incorrect. The Canon can record in HDV, which is 1080i 25Mbs, therefore, Hi-Def. The tapes and data rate are the same, but colour information is sacrificed in order to squeeze more luminance lines in.
Apologies, I thought we were talking about standard definition DV tape.

Gavtech

Administrator
To address some relevant generalities here: Compression systems used for video are largely determined by the storage mechanism.
Tape storage has considerably greater capacity than removable disc technologies and so the compression systems used for those systems is much less compressive.

DV and HDV are not nearly so compressive as compression systems which are necessary to get video onto disc. ( i.e. MPEG2 or MPEG4).

So, irrespective of the connection transfer method used ( as in the OP's problem) it is inescapable that a further compression must be applied, in this case into MPEG4.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom