How can I play SF2 on new replacement XBOX?

Van Dam

I've recently had a new replacement XBOX 360 (my 2nd replacement actually) and I don't know why, but at the moment I can't play SF2 on this console using my other gamer profiles.

On my previous console, after I downloaded SF2 to my HDD, I was able to play the game using any of my gamer profiles but on the new console I can play it only using the gamer profile that was used to download it. :confused: I have even deleted it off my HDD and re-downloaded it but still am unable to use my other profiles to play SF2. My HDD was not exchanged so it is still the same one. I'm really scratching my head at this one so does anyone have any suggestions? :)

DrGreentumb

Novice Member
most games are locked to the gamer profile that you downloaded it to, with the exception of street fighter and hextic, but they might have fixed this i'm not sure so if they fixed it then you can only play it with the profile you dl'ed it with

lightbulb

Novice Member
You have to give Microsoft a call and get them to refund all the points you spent on the broken Xbox360. They will ask you to make a new gamertag as they might not refund to your existing tag. Then once refunded, re-buy your games on the replacement console. :thumbsup:

At the moment the replacement Xbox thinks you have taken your hard drive round to a friends house and is letting him use the stuff you bought from the Marketplace. As a result it won't work unless your gamertag goes online to verify the purchase..or something to that effect. When offline, the Xbox can't check anything and none of your online purchases will work :(

I gave MS a ring about getting points refunded and got a strange nutbar telling me the escalation manager will deal with it. I asked him if he needed my gamertag as I haven't told anyone at Microsoft what it is. He said no... :confused: I'm waiting a few days incase something has been done or a manager wil lcall back, but I'll be calling on Monday morning to get it resolved.

You should be able to recover your gamer profile from the system blades (there's a "recover profile" option and then you can download again the stuff you have brought.

Van Dam

lightbulb said:
They will ask you to make a new gamertag as they might not refund to your existing tag. Then once refunded, re-buy your games on the replacement console.
I see what you mean but would it work if I just deleted all my gamer profiles off the hard drive and recover them and then re-downdload the game, as Jordan Norks also suggested? I can assume the hard drive obviously tells the console where the gamer profiles originated from, in my case it must be serial linked to a specified console (ie the one I have just replaced).

lightbulb

Novice Member
After seeing Norks' suggestion, I went through the process of recovery and stopped a step or two from the end as it said I would lose all the gamesaves associated with the recovered tag. I might give it another go when I've backed up all my saves to the memory card/module. :)

oops - forgot to mention the game save thing! :oops:

Went through all this after I got hit by the COD2 game save bug (reformatted drive, recovered profile etc as I thought it was my 360 - didn't know it was a bug)

Van Dam

Don't think I want to delete my profiles then as I haven't a memory card so I think I will just phone up MS and see what they can do for me. That's if I can actually get through to them this time.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

lightbulb

Novice Member
I phoned MS up this morning to get my points refunded, couldn't be bothered with the hassle of copying my savegames over to memcard. The request for points has been actioned and I should be geting an email with the redeem code sometime in the next day or two.

If you decide to go the same route: create a new gamertag (or use another that isn't the one you bought points on) and add up the points you require a refund on as they may not be able to check this for you. I only bought two batches of 500 with 100 still on my account so I'm expecting 900 points. :thumbsup:

When you call you might have to tell them you were told to make a new gamertag to get the points transferred to. Some of the staff there don't seem to be pro-active in sorting out the requests unless you say you've been told to do something in a previous call :/

Van Dam

Glad you've got yours sorted then, it looks like I will doing exactly the same. I just hope my latest XBOX doesn't screw up again or I'll keep having to go through the same process :eek: Cheers for all the advice mate. :)

GS War

Standard Member
I've heard something about this on a podcast somewhere. When you buy an XBLA game it does 2 things ...

* Records that you have bought the game on the 360 you are using so anybody can play the game on that machine.

* Records that you have bought the game agaist your gamertag so you can play it on any other machine as long as you sign into live.

It sounds like you have lost the first one so it will only let you play under your gamertag. Not sure how you can get around this. Lightbulb's suggestion will work if you can get the refund from Microsoft.

Geezer

Novice Member
GS War said:
I've heard something about this on a podcast somewhere. When you buy an XBLA game it does 2 things ...

* Records that you have bought the game on the 360 you are using so anybody can play the game on that machine.

* Records that you have bought the game agaist your gamertag so you can play it on any other machine as long as you sign into live.

It sounds like you have lost the first one so it will only let you play under your gamertag. Not sure how you can get around this. Lightbulb's suggestion will work if you can get the refund from Microsoft.
I dont think the first one is correct, i have a couple of gamertags on mine, and i can only use the games under my own gamertag.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
So if I use an Xbox Live starter kit to renew my subscription to Live and at the same time think I fancy a GT change, so just set up a new account rather than pay a fiver to change my name will I lose all my Xbox Live arcade games and downloaded premium content like maps?

Certainly seems that way from whats been said here!

lightbulb

Novice Member
KevinPedrick said:
So if I use an Xbox Live starter kit to renew my subscription to Live and at the same time think I fancy a GT change, so just set up a new account rather than pay a fiver to change my name will I lose all my Xbox Live arcade games and downloaded premium content like maps?

Certainly seems that way from whats been said here!
I think that when you change your gamertag, all that changes is the visible 'Name' part of the gamertag. The gamertag's hidden ID number still stays the same so you can still be tracked within the system. A bit like changing the colour of a car when the number plate or chassis number stay the same.

Rott

Standard Member
Geezer said:
I dont think the first one is correct, i have a couple of gamertags on mine, and i can only use the games under my own gamertag.

I'm able to use all the games and content I downloaded under different profiles. Unless you had your console replaced, all profiles should have access to the downloaded games and downloadable content.

Supposedly MS is working on a way to let you recover games and content through a new console without having to call them up.