How can I mount sky HD box to rear of TV?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by pevz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. pevz

pevz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Good morning.

I'm looking to free up some space on my TV stand for a centre speaker and was looking into the possibility of mounting my Sky HD box and xbox to the back of my LG SL8000 LCD TV.

There's a lot of usable space back there but I cant seem to find any ready made mounts/brackets etc.

Has anybody ever tried this? Will I have to come up with my own arrangement using sellotape an bluetack?;)

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

2. hp1980

hp1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the tv in front of a wall? Perhaps put up a shelf on the wall, in which you can place the boxes?

3. pevz

pevz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks HP.

It's not on the wall no, and it's in front of a window so that's not an option.

Really wanted to get them out of sight then use a magic eye type thing to receive the remote control signal. It's all very well investing in a nice receiver and expensive looking speakers, but put a sky box and Xbox next to it and it kind of ruins the effect don't you think?

4. hp1980

hp1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honeslty, no. Having said that it depends what effect you're going for. When i see other set ups I do think "check out all the cool gear" and others that are "just" a couple thingsI think "hmmmmm could do with a sky box, and you could even get your ps3 in here"

What's your TV on? (if you have the space could you get a small pedstool type thing or even a tiny coffee table and stick that at the back?

As you say you may need to engineer your own shelf...which if you're not an expert in it could look crap lol

Without a design background the only thing I can think of is a couple of metal hook/clamp type thigns (the type that hook youir web cam/ ps3 eye on top of your tv/monitor) that sit on top of the tv..these would then have an attached shelf at the back...also depends if your tv can take the weight. It may sit right but a smal knock may shift the balance too much and knock it over

Failing that get an av rack and put your gear in there...may mean some trunking and extra long HDMI cables are needed but at least it wouldn't look an eye sore

5. flipote

flipote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Heavy Duty Velcro? I have a small ethernet switch velcroed to the back of my Pana and it works well.

6. pevz

pevz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi there,

Not sure if anybody is still following this thread but thought I would post an update.

I used Velcro to mount my Sky HD box, Xbox and a Ethernet switch to the back of my flat screen. Sky is controlled from a magic eye device mounted under the screen at the front.

The Velcro works really well and everything is safe and secure.

It means the front looks nice and tidy? Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

7. PR.

PR.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks tidy, just hope the heat of the Xbox/SkyHD don't make the glue sticking the Velcro go soft and fall off! ;)

8. pevz

pevz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I used this stuff which is good:

Heavy Duty Velcro

I suppsoe it will depend on the back of your tv, but the boxes don't cover any of the TV's vents and the xbox and sky HD have their own vents facing out... Its been a month now and they're still solid as a rock! :smashin:

(I'm going to get home to find a smashed xbox now aren't I?!:blush:)

One point though, I had to remove the foam feet from the sky HD box as the gap between the box's body and the tv was a bit too much.

9. Nevaborn

Nevaborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Your brave doing that. Id be very careful with the heat im not sure the 360 will get the ventilation it needs back there as it will be getting the warmth from the tv.

10. pevz

pevz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I did think about that, but as I mentioned all the vents are exposed.

There might be some additional heat from the TV, but normally an xbox would be on an enclosed shelf with a sky box, blu ray player etc so I didnt think there would be too much in it... if anything you could say it's in a more ventilated position now than it was before.

11. Nevaborn

Nevaborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I wish it worked like that lol. 360/ps3 are power houses of heat. They require so much air i hate the idea of putting them in an av stand even an open one.

The vents are exposed where you have it but the air will still be warm or dry prob better way of saying it as the tv will be shooting out the air it used for cooling then your xbox will have to try using it and it wont be able to absorb the same heat as it wont have the density because of the moisture.

All i can say is good luck and i hope it all works fine =)