How can I know how good the scaling is in my HDTV? (OPPO)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ohanlon, Mar 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ohanlon

ohanlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a so called 'Daughter' version of the Oppo coming out, which outputs 480i/576i through HDMI, so if you have a better scaler than the Faroudja chip, you will ultimately get better PQ than what you would with the previous Oppo (The 971), right? (correct me if I'm wrong). So what I need to know is how good is my HDTV at scaling, and will I be better off getting the 971 with Faroudja, or the soon to be released Oppo 970.

I have recently bought the just released JVC-26DX7BJ, and have no idea how good the scaler is in the set, and if it compares to the Faroudja chip. If anyone could help me on this matter I'd be very appreciative :thumbsup:

I'm in a bit of a pickle :rolleyes:

Also, the new Oppo is supposed to rid macro blocking complately, but I don't know if macro blocking would be a problem with my set, especially as seeing as how it has just been released, not many people have had a chance with it.

EDIT: This post also confuses me a bit, could someone explain it:

"The reason to get the 970 is a straight HDMI output at 480i with no processing.
    That coupled with an external scaler should yield as clean a picture as you can get and eliminate MB on those displays that are prone to it.

Provided you have a display with 10 or great panel drivers, you can take advantage of HDMI that puts out a 10-bit signal in YCrPb."

2. ohanlon

ohanlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump...

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The scaler in an Oppo will definitely be better than the scaler in your television. External scalers are devices that typically cost upwards of £1k, and they probably will be better than the Oppo, however.

4. RunDMC

RunDMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I don't know about the statement, but it probably should read 'display with 10 bit (or greater) panel drivers..'

May make more sense...?

[And how is your TV? Still impressed?]

5. ohanlon

ohanlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am still impressed, I have to wait for my component leads for my Gamecube and my for my Oppo to be delivered first before making any judgements though. Just calibrated it using DVE, now have fantastic black levels :thumbsup:

I can definitely see why people complain about LCD's though, the imperfections are obvious. Showing SD content just isn't what it should be on them, using a CRT for years spoiled me. Nothing to complain about with the viewing angles, MUCH more than acceptable. And once calibrated, blacks are very nice :). The noise I get when watching things annoys me though, it is obvious in the dark colours, as I have said. Using it as a PC is fantastic, and the sound from the speakers surprised me so much at how good it sounds.

I just can't wait for TV to start broadcasting in HD (not Sky HD, I'll wait for BBC etc. to start before I jump on the bandwagon), and then I'll be a happy bunny :)