1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Can I improve Digital Reception - How Much 'Dropout' is normal?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by CHR1S, Dec 19, 2004.

1. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Thompson set-top box and on the whole my digital reception is excellent. I can recieve all chanels without a problem, however I do encounter the occasionl signal 'drop-out' whereby the audio will break up for a split second (on average say once every 30 mins) and occasionally the signal will be lost completely for a couple of seconds.

I have a roof top aerial which was installed profesionally about 15 years ago with high quality cable & booster box connected via mains.

Would say a gold RF connector into the back of the Digi-Box make any difference?

Any thoughts.

Chris

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    CHR1S,

Gold plated connectors don't make ANY difference - don't be conned. :lesson:

An aerial installed 15 years ago with a masthead amp isn't really suitable for digital reception. There are so many variables with digital terrestrial reception the only way to get it right is to call a good LOCAL aerial rigger with good local knowledge.

Hope this helps.

A. Dork

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If your getting audio dropouts only every 30 minutes (you don't mention picture problems) I would imagine that your aerial and connections are absolutely fine. There is a known problem with sound glitches at the moment on freeview - I think it is especially noticable on the BBC channels. Check out the digitalspy.co.uk forums to see if it may be related to your issue.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    This is the clue - the aerial booster is probably allowing mains-borne interference to leak onto the signal. The most likely culprit is a fridge, freezer, or central heating boiler. A mains suppressor in the feed to the booster might work, or a newer booster with a better level of interference rejection.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I'm getting split-second sound dropouts on UK Gold channels on Sky+, can anyone advise me why this is happening ? It's only been happening for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    John

Your problems didn't start on or about the 6th December did they? Alot of people have all of a sudden started to get problems with freeview, myself included. There are two theories:

One is that the introduction of the TUTV teaser channel caused a number of problems, such as the loss of some channels and encryption of others - its reported that the muppets didn't know how to fix it and caused more problems than they solved.

The other is that a new state of the art compression suite is running with different compression settings. It is rumoured that some of the full frame images that form part of the digital MPEG stream are now further apart. When a glitch occurs in the reception of the digital signal, the box needs to recover and these full frames help. Now they are less frequent, errors that were once unnoticable as they were corrected in time are now affecting the display as they cannot be correct in time.

-Ian

7. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will look at upgrading the booster - The analogue reception is quite faultless so I don't want to mess about with the aerial at the moment!