1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i get stutter when my cpu isnt at 100%

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Kopite4Ever, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    ive basically got my system smoothish again after a few days of it torturing me. now with FFDShow i can run resize to 1280x720, using lanczos 2, and gradual denoise at about 30. my cpu is at about 80-90% and runs very nice. just watched matrix reloaded and WOW top stuff. this is what i paid my money for !! :thumbsup: so i added some xsharpen 30 and it did nothing to CPU perfromance but made the film not just stutter but stop in places. tried different version of FFDShow and it happened again. any clues on this because for once it isnt the CPU struggling unless Taskmanager is lying to me :devil:

cheers guys this is about my 5th thread in 2 weeks :devil: and i have a feeling i will be back for more as i like my tweaking :suicide:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    One problem using Task Manager is that it's pretty coarse and doesn't show spikes.

If you're looking to get things a little sharper try Luma Sharpen in Lanczos, I find that provides a nice counter to the softening the scaling causes but without any significant ringing.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes thats what ive been using as a subsitute. either 1.20 or 1.50, its just something i though was strange. picture was still fab from the matrix. i still have to run all pal material at 60Hz. going to 50Hz kills me and stutters badly

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I completely fail to understand your problem playing PAL at 50, something's wrong but I don't know enough about video rendering to know what to suggest. :(

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    it is a very weird situation but at least i can play it at 60Hz with no problems. im using VMR9 havnt really tried overlay as i read its better to use VMR with my nvidia card

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Generally VMR is better on NVidias that's true, but VMR also appears to be cause for stuttering and tearing from what I've read on TT's forum .. if you're using TT try renderless mode in 2.1.

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    im on 2.06 at the moment. now its fairly stable i may wait for 2.1 a while. ive never seen tearing using VMR and only stutter when on 50HZ. maybe do the upgrade soon though

8. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I only get stutter @50Hz unless I use reclock - all my material is PAL so everything is at 50Hz. I succesfully use MCE05 with Nvidia codecs, VMR9 renderless and Reclock. I currently use Media Portal with Nvidia Codecs and reclock. As soon as I turned on FFDshow I got a whole world of stuttering with CPU at 100%.

I would try reclock.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If reclock cures all stuttering that shows the graphics card's clock is inaccurate. By monitoring Reclock's status window I saw the clock was way out so I used Powerstrip to fine-tune it and eventually was able to stop using Reclock once I'd got a spot-on 50hz.

10. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Kragorn - are you saying you fine tuned the graphics card to exactly 50hz. If memory serves me right I couldnt get mine on exactly 50Hz.

11. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I had a similar problem, at 60hz I only get microstutter but at 50Hz (for PAL) I get smooth playback but with the odd stutter every minute or so. I guessed that it's the graphics card and sound card clocks running out of sync., as reclock completely solves the problem. I think that KraGorn's suggestion would also work for me but as my system is running fine and I'm too lazy to try it... :)

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Pretty much, not 100% but near enough.

What I did was to run Reclock and see what is said the refresh was to start with then used Powerstrip to graudally alter the refresh rate up or down, re-playing the DVD with Reclock until it was making minimal timing adjustments. I ended up with a value of 50.061 in Powerstrip, with that Reclock only altered the system clock by something like 4hz and I was able to run without it.

In the end I got only a small amount of stutter, typically I'd get 3 each spaced about 1 second apart, this would happen every few minutes, but after a long, long time I could never totally eliminate it, I just don't think the clocks are stable enough.

Comer: IMHO you're right to leave well alone. :D

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    im leaving mine at 60Hz for the time being. it isnt doing me any harm and i know putting another program in the system will some how kill my setup.