How can I get Sky HD and 360 upstairs

quattro

using a component cable

My set up is as follows

Panny PZ which has has an Onkyo 606 connected to it, connected to the 606 is Sky HD via HDMI BD player via HDMI and my 360 which is connected via component.I also have the component output from the Sky HD being sent to my bedroom.

What I want to do is also send the 360 signal up stairs I already have a component switcher if required. The 360 works from up stairs using the game pad so I just need to get the signal up stairs but also keeping my existing setup down stairs.

Is this possible as every time i think i know how i can i find a reason why i can't

Cheers
Jonah

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Plug the sky component output into your 606 and plug the component cable you were using to send skyHD upstairs into the component output of the 606. This will give you the xbox and skyHD and bluray via HDMI to the TV and xbox and sky via component upstairs. You don't mention how you are getting the audio upstairs tho.

BTW assign the component from sky to the same input as the HDMI selection you are currently using. This will make it easier for you when you want to select sky as both the component and HDMI output will be on the same selection then.

quattro

Plug the sky component output into your 606 and plug the component cable you were using to send skyHD upstairs into the component output of the 606. This will give you the xbox and skyHD and bluray via HDMI to the TV and xbox and sky via component upstairs. You don't mention how you are getting the audio upstairs tho.

BTW assign the component from sky to the same input as the HDMI selection you are currently using. This will make it easier for you when you want to select sky as both the component and HDMI output will be on the same selection then.

Sound is carried over Audio outputs it's a 5 pin compnent cable

Firstly will this mean I'll need to have the Amp turn on as i was hoping i wouldn't as i can't do this from up stairs and secondly how will i be able to play the xbox360 on the PZ down stairs?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Its not easy to do without the amp on. You will need a matrix switch for the component inputs (at least 2 inputs and 2 outputs, something like this). Both the xbox and skyHD component inputs would plug into this, then one output to the 606 and one upstairs. This would work without the amp needing to be on.

For the method I outlined in the previous post, the component input from the xbox will be upconverted to the HDMI output for your PZ (this is exactly the same as you have it now). At the same time the component input is also passed to the component output of the 606 to go upstairs. For SkyHD, by having both HDMI and component connected to the amp you achieve a similar effect, except due to the way the 606 prioritises signals, the HDMI input will go to the PZ and the component input will go upstairs.

quattro

What about if i was to split the component cable from the xbox and send one set to the amp which would feed the PZ TV down stairs, the other set would then go to the JS component 2-1 box i have along with the sky HD outputs and then connect the bedroom cable and hey presto or will this not work?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Should work, so you have one of these and want to add one of these.

BTW Are you not using the optical output for connecting the audio to the 606 from the xbox? I think both this and the stereo RCA are active at the same time, so should be ok.

quattro

Should work, so you have one of these and want to add one of these.

BTW Are you not using the optical output for connecting the audio to the 606 from the xbox? I think both this and the stereo RCA are active at the same time, so should be ok.

Yes using the optical output from the xbox to the 606, and i have the first link from a previous set up i had but as i will never want both tv to dispaly at the same time i thought i could simply use straight forward cable split into 2but for £50 i might go with the link

Last edited:

dwhite

Distinguished Member
I was just worried about quality issues and the fact it will be quite a distance to send it, for a passive splitter. No harm in trying it tho.

quattro

I was just worried about quality issues and the fact it will be quite a distance to send it, for a passive splitter. No harm in trying it tho.

Have to agree with you there and the amount of adapters i'd need i may aswell spend the £50

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom