1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get S-Video and Audio over CAT5?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by bgenora, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bgenora

bgenora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, so I've searched around for this, and have come up with only bits and pieces; no real tutorials or do it yourself guides that show how someone could actually use a CAT5 cable to transmit both S-Video and Audio cabling.

I know there are products available to do this for me easily, but I'd rather build it myself. I'm just trying to send my Audio/Video from my computer to my TV about 20 feet away. The video would come out of the S-Video out of my video card and the audio out of your standard phono jack on the soundcard.

If someone could point me in the right direction, even reference material for pin layouts, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. reverend_dan

reverend_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just in the process of this myself, im just wiring it up straight, and for that i know there will be people on here who will want me shot, but i had a bunch of cat5 liberated from left overs at work, so i thought i'd see if i i could connect up my computer to the telly (in another room). I may finish it off tonight but ill post it up if and when i get it working.

I have made a vga over cat5 cable for the office and it runs nicely at 1024x768 over about 10-15 metres of cable so i cant see it not working

4. bgenora

bgenora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the site that actually gave the idea. However, I'm looking to do this with S-Video, not VGA. And at the same time, send audio over it too.

reverend_dan since your computer is in another room, what are you doing about the audio?

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    svideo should be fine, as there are two video connections, leaving two more for stereo audio.

Anyone any comments on the quality of this type of cabling? It'd be handy for routing if I could use this rather than full component as I could feed it down my existing trunking.

Also, would there be enough pins for SCART RGB? Just need video and audio.

6. reverend_dan

reverend_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly what im going to try and do,
    4 wires for svideo and 2 wires for left audio 2 wires for right audio = 8 wires of cat5

If i works i may try and run the digital coax over it but i think that may be pushing it too far.

Also i have to warn people that soldering the svideo connectors from maplins is a right pain, hence the fact that its not finished yet as all it has is a straight pin and no bucket style connector

Have to say im only doing this because im still renting and cheap, If it was my house i'd be knocking holes threw walls. Can't wait for that day to come, Missus might have something to say about it though.

7. bgenora

bgenora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reverend_dan how do you know what parts you need and what wires should connect to their corresponding pins on both the svideo and phono audio cables.