1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i get RGB out of my PC to a TV?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kevshed, Mar 15, 2003.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi gang,

Just looking at this HTPC stuff on behalf of a friend.. Who's just invested in a new panny 36" panny TV.

Currently we are putting together a list of harware that hes going to need, and although i know a lot about PC hardware.. this one question escapes me.....

Why do the Video Ouputs only consist of, VGA/S-Video/Composite ?

Surely people want to connect to their RGB scarts on their telly's.

Does anyone make an adaptor, mod or similar ? Or, is the only solution to use an external scan converter to do the converstion?

In which case, anyone know of a cheap scan converter than will do the job????

Thx
    Kev

2. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, for DVD/MPEG2/DivX playback use a Sigma X-Card which provides not only better S-Video and Composite but Component (including progressive scan) and SCART RGB (using an adaptor plate & cable).

For the Windows desktop your stuck with graphics card 'TV' out which is just about ok up to 800x600.

cheers, Phil

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I thought the SigmaX could pass through the Windows desktop that you could use SCART RGBS for displaying it?

4. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    thanks...

didnt think of the sigma X... will take a look.

Hope it does have the pass-through, thats what it needs really

Cheers
    Kev

5. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi ReTrO, the Xcard supports VGA passthrough if you want to display playback as an overlay (although full screen only unlike it's DXR2/3 predecessor that could do windowed overlay) but can't output the desktop on any of it's other video outputs.

Cheers, Phil

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a recent post about scan converters - sorry I can't be more specific - try a search for the info you need.

TV's are not really the appropriate display medium for HCPC. The whole point is to produce a progressive scan high res image, so projectors, plasmas etc are best suited. There are some new Panny PAL prog scan TV's but they are very limited in comparison.

I certainly concur with the recommendation to the Sigma Designs Real Magic XCard, though, for DVD & MPEG4 playback on a TV; the quality is excellent. There's a 3rd party player available now with more sophistication than the supplied Xmedia player, though I can't remember what it's called offhand. Again, try a search on the Sigma Xcard forums.

Hope this helps.

7. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    thanks for the posts...

I agree, using it on a TV isnt best use... I use a plasma myself.. but unfortunatly, not all have the money...

Main purpose of the experiment is to get a platform ready for the microsoft PVR due in the UK in July..... Ive been playing with a a beta kit, and compared to other PVR software ive tried it looks excellent....

of course, its windows - so the useual issues will occur no doubt..

Thx again
    Kev

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about the MS PVR but if the ultimate result can be an MPEG4 file then Xcard would fit the bill to output via SCART RGB to the TV set.

On the 'funds' point regarding plasmas etc, I can wholeheartedly recommend the use of a large second-hand CRT monitor as an alternative to a TV. Mine is a 1986 37" 4:3 display with x2 RGBHV/RGBS/RGsB + S-Video + Composite inputs and pass-through with onboard sound and infrared and/or external remote control. Like most of these units it will accept domestic RGB signals as well as PC input via VGA -> BNC/DB15. The picture quality is absolutely superb from NTL cable STB via DScaler and a 1024 x 768 Windows desktop is crystal clear from 25 ft away (depending on your eyesight). At 1280 x 1024 you only have to get a bit closer.

You can find these units for anything from £100 +, if you look around, depending on condition. For the difference in cost of a big TV you can build a pretty cool HCPC.

9. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    could you expand on this a little more?
    such as refreshrate, resolution etc and where am i most likely to get one.
    cus im totally skint atm and will be for a while :rolleyes:

10. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mitsubishi Megaview Pro is the one to go for IMHO; mine is the XC-3730 1986 model. It is in excellent condition and came packed in a cushioned aluminium wheeled flight case.

It has 10 Preset Modes for various standards (Windows, Mac, HP, Sun etc) and PC resolution/refresh modes from VGA400 - 640x400@70Hz to Sun82K - 1280x1024@76.2Hz, as well as a User Mode. I have used PowerStrip to tweak the presets a little to recalibrate them to suit XP displays at 1024x768@75.3Hz (XGA-II) and 1280x1024@75Hz (SXGA variant). They work perfectly. Basically, it can handle anything from 15-85Khz horizontal scan, which includes 15.75Hz domestic RGB sources (digital cable; Sky; DVD player etc in PAL, NTSC & SECAM), and 40-120Hz vertical (refresh) with max res 1280x1024. (It takes H & V separate sync (RGBHV); Composite sync (RGSB) and Sync on green (RGsB) at 0.3#4V p-p and TTL high and low levels.

There are 2 sophisticated OSD's, one for setting internal (preset) adjustments and one for fine-tuning, including individual RGB drives; both are almost infinitely configurable. It's a very versatile piece of equipment, in fact.

The downside is that it is a bit noisy (I'm modding mine) from x4 80mm fans; it's a bit big and more than a bit heavy at 100kg but easy to wheel around in it's case, and you need to get a male DB15 (not HDD15) to connect to RGB2 port from whatever your source is, eg VGA, SCART, BNC etc. RGB1 is x5 BNC, however.

You can try Ebay or I can help to source one if you PM me.

Hope this helps.

11. Archos27

Archos27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone made their own Xcard RGB -> scart cable? Which pin is no, 1 and which is 16. Where can you find a fitting part to the pins on the Xcard to solder on a scart cable?

Pictures would be nice if anyone has done this..

12. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19