How can I get legal 720p movies?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Wolvreen, May 11, 2004.

1. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a legal way of downloading (say 720p) movies for a HTPC (maybe a subscription website)?

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt it.

All the HD content on peer-to-peer networks are captured from TV broadcasts in the States. They are not intended for sale.

The only way at the moment of getting hi-def is from either DVDs with a MS WMV version of the film (ala T2:Extreme) or from D-VHS. Either way, the selection is limited.

Even on a broadband connection, the files are huge (upto 14Gb) which doesn't make them very download friendly.

3. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jonny

I will get T2 and try it

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can download the trailer of T2 : Extreme Edition in 720p and 1080p from microsoft's website http://www.wmvhd.com

I've heard that the T2 disk requires a trick to play it outside the USA. Something to do with using a proxy server.

Try looking in the Hi-Definition TV forum instead of DVD Talk.

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd be careful about the hi-def version of T2 Wolvreen, as Johnny says it's requires a activation code or something like that to play. You can only get it if you go through a U.S proxy server but even then a lot of severs have been black flagged so to speak and cant be used to get the activation...

...try doing a search for the extreme edition here in the dvd section and also in the PC section to hopefully get a solution. I believe a few were successful.

Regards,
    Iain.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is an interesting discussion! Whilst I realise the forum is rightly against piracy, this sort of material can only be had through some form of piracy (well excluding DVHS anyhow).... I have to say that such a situation voids almost all my arguements against piracy of this sort of thing.... afterall no one is losing money because no one is losing sales due to it, quality issues dont matter because there is no genuine thing to compare to..... so im not sure I see it in the same light as dvd pirating

ad

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There was a time when a pirated version of a film was worse quality than what was available commercially in this country (PAL DVD), so there was little incentive to download them, but now things are starting to change with being able to download HD versions, who can resist?

8. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    afterall no one is losing money because no one is losing sales due to it...

Well they are, the copyright holders want people in Europe to buy the standard definition now and the HDTV version again in a few years.

Personally I don't think this is very fair, but if the EU won't force through HDTV like the US Govenment is doing (they made Fox start moving to HDTV recently) then its going to be a certainty.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I really think that the failure to follow the US is going to promote piracy...... in fact I guess there is case that someone could legally argue that disallowing this of such material (i.e. that is not available to them by any other means) could be considered a breach of their rights...... I imagine that it would be hard to argue against someone who is 100% willing to pay but simply isnt allowed by the respective governments....

ad

10. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck! :)
    If you think you can win such an argument against the respective governments, first ask people of 18 to 21 years of age in the US who want to buy beer or Canadians who want to legally subscribe to US satellite services. I'm also sure that many people in Europe and Canada are willing to pay and own a gun too, but... :nono: (thank God for the last :))
    Anyway, back to the topic. Simply put, regardless of all loopholes in rights, licenses, marketing policies etc, if you don't pay for copyrighted material, you will always be vulnerable and the owners will win any legal battle against you.

11. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People in Europe and Canada do own guns, they just dont shoot their neighbours with them.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well if a burglar who falls down my staircase and breaks his leg is within his rights to sue me, why does my arguement seem ridiculous?

ad

13. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the movie studios can afford better lawyers than the unfortunate burglar :)

14. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An interesting thought -

Doesn't copyright cover the film, and not the format ?

ie : If I bought T2 years back I've already paid for the right to view this film privately whenever I want.

Therefore if I owned a copy of a dvd, or of the hi-def version then I have a right to view it....

I own the dvd btw, and bought the t2 t-1000 edition (vhs), and the original version in widescreen vhs , and the original version in 4:3...........

Thank god my pj won't do hi-def...

TBH I'm getting tired of buying this film over and over........

Same with cd's - thank god I stuck with vinyl........:D

Buy a record, bin it , buy the cd of the record, bin it, buy the digitally remastered cd of the record, bin it, buy the SACD of the record, blah blah blah......:mad:

I think they should do a 'format trade in' - give 'em your vhs, get the dvd for £4, as you've already paid for the film...

Cheers

Rob