How can I get German kids KiKa channel?

telford_mike

Hi,
My wife's doing a German course and she found the kids channel really good while we were on holiday in Switzerland. It's called Kika. Details: http://www.lyngsat-address.com/gk/KiKa.html

Is there any way I could receive this using a standard Sky setup?

Thanks.

Without moving the dish from its present aim at 28.2 degrees East and losing all your Sky channels - NO.

If you wish to keep Sky you will need a second dish aimed at 19.2 degrees east and a cheap FTA (Free to Air) Digital or Analogue receiver. KiKa is on both analogue and digital on the same satellite at present.

The analogue receiver could be any old satellite receiver from the days of Sky analogue (the satellite is the same one Sky used to broadcast from in the analogue days) often found at car boot sales etc for a couple of pounds. This would also pick up about another dozen or so German channels. This setup would last for approx a year when analogue is due to be switched off on that satellite.

The digital receiver could be any cheap digital receiver sold often in Lidl, Maplins and on ebay. Receivers cost from about £25 upwards and receivers with dishes and lnbs (the bit in front of the dish) start at about £60. The advantage of digital is that there are literally hundreds of free German (and other languages) channels and the channels will not be switched off next year. See here for list of free channels
http://www.flysat.com/tv-de.php

The dish could be anything from another Sky minidish (the newer digital type) OR older Sky analogue dishes (slightly bigger). A new lnb for either would possibly be required at about £10 BUT beware the two dishes require different types of lnb designed to fit a each design only.

telford_mike

Many thanks - I'll look into that. I assume that a local satellite installer would be happy to rig one of these up for an appropriate fee :)

uk_jih

You should be able to get away with not having a second Satellite dish if you can get a dual LNB mount.

This has two LNBs sitting side by side and one picks up Sky and the other picks up the other satellite service with Kika. Ask your installer.

You should be able to get away with not having a second Satellite dish if you can get a dual LNB mount.

This has two LNBs sitting side by side and one picks up Sky and the other picks up the other satellite service with Kika. Ask your installer.

This would still need a new larger dish (probably 80 cm) and two new lnbs as the existing Sky one would not fit a standard dish and one of them would need to be a more expensive twin or quad outlet one to feed the Sky HD.

With either the existing Sky quad or a new quad you also could take a feed from this to the FTA digital receiver via a two way diseqc switch (approx £10) - this would then give you all the present FTA channels from Sky (take your card out of a Sky box to see what you would get) on the FTA box possibly in another room and allow watching different channels in different rooms - useful when soaps clash with football etc.

arthurdentpc

Does a 2nd dish not require planning permission though ?

I have nothing to back this up, just an old memory lying around unused inside my head ......

You are allowed two dishes - except on listed buildings and conservation areas without planning permission.

In England it is one dish up to 1 meter and one up to 60 cm - in the rest of the UK it is one 90cm and one 60 cm - they have not passed the changes through their legislature yet.

reforse

I did mine myself to get the German channels for my girlfriend.

Cost was about £75 in total, a cheapo set from Aldi or Lidl.

Just really drilling 4 holes in the mortar between bricks about 3 meters up the wall to mount the dish and one hole through the wall to feed the cable.

So long as your house faces the right way it is a straight forward job, if you can put a shelf up ok then you can do it yourself.

I am not sure whether a motorised system would be more difficult.

A sat finder is very useful (£10) if you dont have the receiver pre-tuned.

Bob

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom