How can I get discrete IR codes - tried at RemoteCentral

Hallsy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Pronto on it's way to me and am thinking ahead.
I've played with the ProntoEdit Software a little and it doesn't seem too bad.
Thing I was interested in was say for macros using discrete function like ON or OFF rather than ON/OFF.

Looked on remote central for discrete codes and they have Yamaha receiver ones which will suit me, but nothing else.
I am after codes for:
LG TV (can't remember model right now),
Matsui DTR1/Goodmans GDB3 Freeview,
Yamaha RX-V640RDS recevier,
Playstation 2,
Bush DVD player (not too worried here as I will be upgrading soon).

Will I be able to get discrete codes from learning and then looking at the IR code that the pronto has stored?
Weren't sure how this would work with buttons that toggle functions, i.e. on/off.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :)

A good way to do this would be to make use of OneForAll's database of codes, which is widely to believed to be the most comprehensive in the world. Buy a cheap OFA remote and Obtain the discrete codes for your devices from OFA's Customer Services. Program the discrete codes into your OFA remote and learn these codes onto your Pronto. This method is widely employed in the US and I've even seen a US-based website selling high-end remotes packaged with a cheap OFA remote (www.bluedo.com).

Thanks for that.
What sort of one for all remote would do it, and how cheap?

Hallsy said:
I have a Pronto on it's way to me and am thinking ahead.
I've played with the ProntoEdit Software a little and it doesn't seem too bad.
Thing I was interested in was say for macros using discrete function like ON or OFF rather than ON/OFF.

Unfortunately you're making the assumption that they exist for all your kit. It's really pot luck as to whether or not your kit has discrete codes built in to its firmware. Some manufacturers are better than others for this. It's worth contacting the makers of your kit directly and asking them for the hex codes for the particular model you own. don't be surprised if they come back saying they don't exist though.
Of course the Harmony series remotes get round this issue with the Smart State Technology - but if you've already ordered your Pronto.....

Patrick

Yeah, I was aware that not all components will have discrete codes, but thought I'd try.
As you say, I think I'll try contacting the manufacturers first.
By the way, whilst I'm on the subject of Pronto's, when using the ProntoEdit software, does anyone know how you can delete the frame that is put in everytime you add a new panel, annoying if you want to use thw hole screen as it looks a bit ****!!

If you contact OFA, you may find it easier to find out whether your devices accept discrete codes. If you give them an OFA model number, tell them which devices you have and ask for the discrete codes, they'll e-mail you a list of all the codes that are available to program. I did the same and received a four page e-mail of codes for my four devices.

Hallsy said:
... you can delete the frame that is put in everytime you add a new panel, annoying if you want to use thw hole screen as it looks a bit ****!!

Right click on part of the frame , select delete. Thats how I always did it (someone else is bound to tell you an easier way :D ) . You can then copy that "blank" Panel to the other equipment , and never have to remove the frame again .Have fun , I was just getting back into using P.Edit when my eldest busted my Pronto . :mad:
JS

Cheers John, I thought that would be the case! I'm slowly getting into it, not entriely sur eon how to setup the macros but will have another bash later.
I've downloaded a load of ccf's from remotecentral and will just nick some buttons and graphics from them.
Just really quite difficult on decidding on a final layout, especially one that the missus can get along with also!!

I will try to contact OFA, will they not ask me for a serial number or something, to prove that I have actually bought one?

Well, that's bizarre, I received an email with a reply from GreenBars, however, there is no reply here. Has it been deleted?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom