1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i get 5.1 analogue sound from my xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by STANNY08, Oct 10, 2005.

1. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    The problem is, in pc world i bought some surround sound headphones that i was told would work with xbox. I have got them home only to find that the only accept analogue 5.1 signals and out of all the xbox leads i have none of them are capable of this. Also i have searched on the web for an hour for a solution and cant find any xbox lead that is capable of this.

Help please is there a lead i can buy or do i have to wait till i get my proper surround sound installed?

Thanx in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Stanny,

Can you post a link to more product info? When you say "analogue 5.1" that's not strictly possible since 5.1 signals are digital surround sound. Do you mean it's a coaxial connector for the 5.1 input as opposed to an optical connector?

It really depends on whether the headphones take a true 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS signal or a 2 channel stereo signal and emulate 5.1 surround. I've certainly seen both so the more product info you can provide the more we can hopefully point you in right direction.

If it's a simple case of converting a digital optical signal to a digital coaxial signal, something like this box on Maplin for £14.99 might help:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293&doy=10m10

[​IMG]

Plug an optical lead from your Xbox into this little gadget and plug your headphones into the other side of the convertor - hopefully, job done ;)

Cheers,

Colin

P.S. I had a look on the PC World site but it wasn't too forthcoming!

3. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
  4. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
  5. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ah, sorry for underestimating your knowledge there :(

It looks like you'll need a decoder then. Looking at the requirements (and now the setup sheet - thanks!), they say for PC usage you need a surround-compatible soundcard and for DVD playback you need 6 RCA outputs on the back of the player. I've faced similar technical ineptitude in the past with PC World and can see how you're in this situation now - hopefully since they've blatantly lied to you, you'll have no problem taking them back... Technically they will work with your Xbox, just as long as you have something else between the headphones and the Xbox!!! :rolleyes:

Is it worth picking up a cheap amp on eBay to tide you over? The problem is that the lower priced amps might not have the RCA pre-outs you'd need and would probably just have speaker clips. I suppose it all comes down to where you'd rather spend your cash - more money on an amp/decoder then the 3 pairs of phono leads or save it all towards an amp/receiver and speaker setup.

If it's any use, before my current Denon/KEF setup, I had a Sony HT-BE1 surround package - micro satellites and the amp was built into the sub box which had an optical digital in, coax digital in, stereo phono and USB inputs. While the sound wouldn't fill the Albert Hall it was actually surprisingly stunning. My fiance's parents are using it now and it still sounds great. The sub could kick out bass when it was needed and the speakers were even okay for music - not the best obviously but you could a lot worse for what it cost. You can pick them up for about £100 in places like Powerhouse these days which might work out cheaper than buying the kit needed to make your headphones work! Maybe an option? Of course, it depends on budget - if you're working to a bigger and better system then it might be worth waiting. If you're looking for a stop-gap for a year or so (as I was), you'd be more than happy with what your £100 would get you.

Cheers,

Colin

P.S. Hope that helped!

6. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    thanks alot for your help.

The headphones were supposed to be a temporary solution for just a couple of months, until i can afford to buy two decent suround sound setups for my new place (one for the games room and one for the living room) but before that i need to buy a new tv.
    I thought these would be a good solution for now so the missus would stop moaning about having to listen to stupid sound affects as she says.

I think i will have to wait a bit then cause i've got my eye on a £450 sony surround sound system for the living room, which gets priority over the games room.

Thanks again for your help, any other ideas post again.

STANNY

7. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    I managed to bodge my surround sound headphones to work with my xbox,
    I dug my old decoder/amp unfortunately it didn't have the proper 6 rca connectors so i chopped off the rca plugs stripped back the wires and connected them to the speaker outputs on the decoder and the headphones work superb well impressed. I just need to find a way of incorperating the mic.

For £40 quid a bargain if you have got a decoder they will work with.

8. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Bloody hell Stanny - it's just like an episode of MacGyver ;) You didn't use the outer wrapper from a stick of chewing gum to connect the wires did you? :D

9. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    no not that daft,

Used a bit of sellotape :rolleyes:

10. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Just kidding Stanny :) Seriously though, nice work! I've always wondered how well surround headphones actually perform, how convincing a sound field they produce. For £40, I'm sure any sort of surround field would be an absolute bargain :smashin:

Just read your previous post again about the missus complaining about "stupid sound effects"... She's going to love you when you get a full new Dolby Digital system installed :rotfl:

Cheers,

Colin

11. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    Yeah tell me About it.
    We had one in our old place but it was a bit mix and match so looks naff, "I don't want a naff looking system in the living room, Its got to be silver ladidadida" She moans.
    What was good though was she used to go out when i put xbox on, so when she was doing my head in put xbox on and have a nice break.
    We got two living rooms now though so one is gonna be my gaming room once i get chance to sort it. Cant wait!!!!!!

Oh and the headphones do work great.
    The only issue i've noticed is they have to be worn at the right angle and not be too far forward or else rear sounds dont sound like they are from the rear. But wear them right and they are great.

Cheers for ya help mate!!

12. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Stanny,

I have a pair of surround sound headphones and have the same problem with Xbox live, they are great to use with Halo2 so you can figure out which direction your foe is coming from.

I thought about doing this, (not sure if it will work in any other games except halo 2).

Buying a cheap clip-on mic from ebay and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mic jack converter also from ebay plug this into your communicator. Change the settings in Halo2 so that voices can be heard only from the speakers (which in our case would be the headphones).

Volia, sorted, plus you're not pissing about cellotaping the communicator headset to the side of your head!!

Any thoughts??

13. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    Sounds like an idea.
    Looking into it now.
    Hope it can be acheived.
    And most of the games i own, have the option of having the voices come through the speakers (headphones)

Just out of curiosity which headphones do you have.

14. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a pair of Pioneer SEDIR800C

15. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    They look damn good.

16. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah they sound amazing, one side snapped the other day, managed to superglue it!!