How can I edit DVD-RW on my PC to DVD-R?

TP2K

Standard Member
Reaction score
Are there any PC proggy's out there that will enable me to lift the content off a DVD-RW recorded via a STB to my PC, and essentially edit out things like adverts, and then burn it back to DVD-R on my PC drive?

I ask since it's a stumbling block over a STB purchase; if I can do it on my PC then I am happy to get a Pio 3100, if not, methinks I will have to wait (and wait!) and get the forthcoming 5100...

I'll do it rarely, so timliness isn't that much of an issue; the issue is being able to do it if I wanted to...!

Thanks if you can help!

Yes - you'll be able to do this no problem. If you get a DV Input card for your PC (around £20-30) then you'll be able to hook this directly to the 3100 or 5100. Any decent Digital Video package should do - numerous free trials are available.

Thanks, Rasczak - but...

...my PC has a DVD-R drive, so I was more intending to capture data from a DVD-RW which has been recorded with the STB using something like Smart Ripper or DVD Decryptor.

Then, using some other software, I was hoping to edit the captured data on my PC, and then burn back to DVD-R using the drive on my PC.

Is this possible? What software can anyone recommend?

Another side, and likely what you're thinking, my PC already boasts a firewire DV input - I have captured camcorder footage previously, so are you saying hook the DVR3100 up to the input as if it were the camcorder and capture the info that way?

That's fair enough, but what software programs do I then use to edit, and essentially re-create DVD-R compatible files (VOBs) ready for burning???

so I was more intending to capture data from a DVD-RW which has been recorded with the STB using something like Smart Ripper or DVD Decryptor.
Yes of course you can do this! You won't need SmartRipper (etc) because they're will be no copy protection. All you'll need is a DVD Authoring programme such as TMPG Enc Author (look for posts on the subject on this forum) which will enable you to edit, add cutsom menus/chapter etc and burn to a DVD-R.

With TMPG Enc Author you can record everything in VR mode on your Pioneer (which allows editting, Timeslip etc) and then import into TMPG Author to burn to DVD-R (which will then play on virtually all DVD players).

Another side, and likely what you're thinking, my PC already boasts a firewire DV input - I have captured camcorder footage previously, so are you saying hook the DVR3100 up to the input as if it were the camcorder and capture the info that way?
That's correct.

Thanks for this... downloading a trial of DVD Author as I type...!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom