How can I edit a 24hr long surveillance video quickly

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by marymontana, Jul 29, 2012.

1. marymontana

marymontana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Im working on a long term project whereby im recording 24hrs worth of film only to discard 23hrs and 50mins of it. I have to do this every day and it is taking an absolutely age.

No doubt the system I have could be improved enormously so I am hoping you can offer some advice.

There is no mains power where the camera is sited so I am using an HDD Handycam with 10hr long batteries to record the footage. Every morning I bring the camera in to upload the data to my computer which takes forever, then I can transfer those files to VideoPad video editor, which takes forever too. Then I can start picking out the footage I want to eventually burn it all on to DVD. By the time ive finished its almost time to start again.

Can anyone think of a quicker way of getting this job done. Im not made of money but I don't mind if I have to replace the equiptment im using now.

2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Any way you can use a camera to record direct to computer hard drive.

3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    I would suggest you view the footage on the camcorder and just transfer the sections you need. Digitising vast amounts that you then discard is a serious waste of time. Plug it into a bigger monitor so you can see what you are doing.

Better editing programs - Premiere Pro for one, allows you to enter lists of time code numbers into the import aplication and just import these areas of the tape / disc. If you need the same timed sections each day, you could just build up a time code list of this info and automatically import the areas you need.

An editing program that works without having to re-code or transfer the footage would help as well. This might take a bit more digging to find something suitable though.

4. BarryTheSprout

BarryTheSprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    As the guys above say, there is no point in converting video that you are not going to keep.

And some of the tools that come with cameras can be a bit complex or confusing. Especially if all you are needing to do is preserve video clips from CCTV. It sounds like the tools you are doing are trying to do "too much"

Comically I just pointed someone else at a bit of kit that will connect a video camera to the PC without much messing around. This is cheap and works well. Any S-Video or Composite lead can be converted to USB and poured into a PC.

ClimaxDigital VCAP305 USB 2.0 VHS to DVD Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

That will allow you to watch the video back in ANY video player like VLC. Then just chop and save the chunks you really need.

I am not a heavy video editor, but the work I do do is with a simple product called "VideoRedo" which handles loads of different video types. As noiseboy72 says, avoid conversion. Just edit and save video in the same format as the camera plays.

Remember - there are dozens of different answers to your question. :)

(Note: One warning with Climax Digital's product if you do pick it up, watch out for other junk installed with the software and remove junk like "Dyyno Broadcaster" as it just slows the PC down)

5. marymontana

marymontana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input. Editing from the camera itself has prooved to be quite tricky as there maybe only a few seconds of useful footage in each scene available and its easy to miss something before deleting it. Also the footage can arrive at any time of day or night so it certainly isn't predictable. However, I think noiseboys suggestion could be the most efficient method with the tools I have available right now.

In future I think the best solution is get mains electric up there and record straight to computer hardrive as Bow and Barry suggest. 200m of armoured aint gonna be cheap though.

Just for clarity, are there CCTV systems available that record straight to hard drive and can be edited from the recorder and then burnt on to disc? From your explainations that sounds like the ideal set up for me.

6. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Yes, we used to use one at work in the security office.
    I've also been to a guy's house to collect some CCTV footage for an insurance job, he had his two cameras connected to his PC and some basic softwear did the viewing/editing/burning.

7. BarryTheSprout

BarryTheSprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    When you upload your video from camera to PC, how are you currently doing it? Is this just a "copy the files" operation? Or are you converting the video at the same time? This is the step that we were trying to suggest to reduce by keeping in the original format. Only convert the clips you keep, not the whole thing.

Also note that there are now plenty of wireless network CCTV cameras on the market now. Worth checking.

Or get a camera with sdcards for memory, then you can just change the card and copy the recordings off at leisure.