How can I downscale / convert HDTV to SD?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tenly, Mar 23, 2006.

1. tenly

tenly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 3 A/V devices hooked up to a 3 in/1 out Component Video switch with Optical audio in/out.

I'd like to take the output from that switch (Component/Optical), convert the 480p (DVD player) or 720P (Cable box and Network Media Player) signal and the optical audio to Stereo L/R to NTSC and feed an RF modulator so that I can merge the feed to my incoming cable feed and watch the selected video source on any other (standard def) TV in my house.

What is the cheapest way to do this? What are my alternatives?
    :lease:

Thanks in advance...

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Can you not just take SD outputs from the respective boxes - you could get three RF modulators and avoid the need to switch, or just get a separate crash box.
    If you really want to downscale you'll need a scan converter that can take a component signal (rather than the usual VGA)

3. tenly

tenly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into your suggestion of using the composite out jacks. I had originally ruled that out since my cable box does not output anything on the composite jack when I'm on an HD channel. I'll have to check out the Media Player and DVD player to see if there's anything being output on the composite jack when I've selected 720p, but I suspect it will be the same with them. If I'm wrong and it's only the cable box that's affected, I might be able to live with it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive scan converter that accepts a component signal?

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368