1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I do it.....?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Faust, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I am hoping to purchase a Home Theatre System shortly. I was considering buying one with a dvd instead of separate amp purely on cost i.e. to buy with dvd is around £100 cheaper than amp alone. I do not intend to use the dvd at all, but simply want it to power the speakers. However, does anyone know how I would make the connections given the equipment listed below so that I get the surround capabilities out of all my equipment? Whenever I ask in the High St stores I get blank stares and some bizarre suggestions. If I did go for separate amp are my connection options any different. Hope someone can solve the puzzle.

Equipment being used - Panasonic PL1 t.v. Sky+ Satellite PVR, Panasonic DMR E30 DVD - Ram Recorder, Sony VCR. My connections are as follows -
    Sky+ TV Out > AV2 (RGB in) E30 and then E30 AV1 > TV (RGB in). VCR Line 2 scart > Sky+ VCR scart and finally Line 1 VCR scart > to remaining scart on TV.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If you could tell us your budget we might be able to give you some pointers:)
    You will have two options available as far as I can see:-

1) You could buy an all in one speaker package (without dvd) which usually incorperates an amplifier, sub sat speakers and limited connectivety like:-

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301915 (just an example)

this would be ok in a small room with small descreat speakers but would be fairly limited imo and not too good with music. You can get systems with dvd's included but why when you've already got a dvdp. Your usually very limited as to what you can connect to these systems and you'd have to do a bit of reasearch to find one that would suit what you require.

2) You could buy a seperate av receiver and speaker package. Something like:-

amp :-

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301738

speakers:-

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301645 (again just examples)

This would offer you a better all round system that would sound better with movie and music over an all in one system imo. If you go this way then you'll have more choice available to you with much better connectivity options. The speakers available can be more descreat sub sat style or bigger conventional standmount or floorstanding speakers depending on cost.

Getting a seperates system also offers an upgrade path should you wish to improve your system later whereas an all in one system doesn't. If you get frustrated with an all in ones limitations you'll have to scrap and start from scratch replacing everything.

How much money you have to spend will dictate how far up the HC tree you will be able to go. You can pick up cheap all in ones from around <£150 that'll get the job done but don't expect phenominal performance. An entry level seperates system would cost in the region off <£150 for the amp and about the same for speakers.

It all comes down to money in the end so if you give us an idea of the maximum budget you have in mind we'll be more than happy to give you a few pointers

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Are you shure you can't get an AV amp/receiver cheaper than an all-in-one system? There are some cheap AV receivers available and cheap speaker packages. These will offer far better quality IMHO than the combined setup. They will also offer an easier upgrade path.
    What is your budget?
    What have you seen that looks cheaper than the separates?

Ok these are the connections I think you need to the AV receiver:
    Sky+ & DVD go via a digital coax or optical lead.
    Everything else will connect via a standard phono pair of leads.
    Keep the scart leads as they are now for connecting everything to the TV.

Mark.

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had been looking at Panasonic systems. All in one is around £280 whilst separate AV amp around £380 which is around my budget, but thought if I could get same or similar for £280 then why not. When you say Sky+ and DVD go via optical or coax - how though? and as for the phono leads for everything else
    again how i.e. in what order would I connect them ....? Thanks for the info in advance.

:confused:

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    www.unbeatable.co.uk are doing the yamaha av package 25 for £222 +delivery the amp will have all the connections you need plus the speakers come with a active sub.For connecting everything up buy one of the home cinema mags which most have a beginners guide to set up, it is quite straight forwards if you take things slowly.I set this system up at my old mans house and for the price is a bargain much better than the all in one set ups.
    Ps if you do get stuck just ask on the forums.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    PS all the connections are marked on all inputs on the back of the amp so all you have to do is connect each piece of your equipment to the marked inputs on the amp.:)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Each bit of your kit will connect directly (ie not daisy chained together) into an AV receiver.
    A tape deck, CDP etc will all connect via a pair of phono cables to an input on the receiver and they are nearly always labelled tape, CD etc.
    Sky+ I think has an optical output for all sound. This should be marked on the back as optical. Plug this lead into the AV and then assign that input to the TV input on the AV (you'll need to :rtfm: to find out how).
    A DVD player can have either optical or coax or both for surround sound. Connect to inputs as per Sky+.

For a full description on connecting it all up go to the bottom of any page on this forum and click on the electrictown link. Then towards the bottom of that page is a guide for beginners called 'Beginners Courner'.

HTH,
    Mark.