How can i create a 3d blu-ray with two camera files?

Martin68

Before my poor dog died, i filmed him in the garden for a good 30 minutes using two HD video cameras side my side on a home made jig.

I am now wondering how i can convert the two video files into blu-ray standard 3D (not side by side which halves the resolution)

is there sofware available to do this?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

Martin68

I do have Cyberlink Power director 10 ultra which is 64 bit and has 3D options to create a blu-ray disk in 3D, but i'm not sure how to get both my left and right camera files onto the timeline in order to burn them as 3D onto BD
dose it require MVC files to begin with? such as i'm guessing is the output format from the new 3D Sony consumer camcorders?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I do have Cyberlink Power director 10 ultra which is 64 bit and has 3D options to create a blu-ray disk in 3D, but i'm not sure how to get both my left and right camera files onto the timeline in order to burn them as 3D onto BD
dose it require MVC files to begin with? such as i'm guessing is the output format from the new 3D Sony consumer camcorders?
You just put each one on it's own layer in the the timeline. The MVC codec and encoder is required for full res 3D as on a blu-ray disc. They seem to run out at $2000.00. SBS doesnt require a special encoder as all that's required is to squash two full frames side by side onto one. That's why the BBC can transmit 3D to a bog standard HD box. The TV does all the conversion. It's going to a while before consumer level MVC processing is down to a price we mere mprtals can afford. PD10 at a guess will have two output options - anaglyph (Red/Green glasses) for any display and SBS for 3D TV's. I imagine 3D camcorders will work just like broadcast 3D using the SBS system.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
So out of interest, what's keeping MVC encoders so artificially high priced?
are they on purpose trying to stop the public creating full HD 3D films, if so why?
Like all new technology the encoders are probably hand built from lots of different components. Only mass market demand can possibly justify the investment in building large scale single chip devices. A new advanced cpu for use in a PC will have millions of potential users. Even so the latest multiple core processors will command premium prices, Back in the 60's 16K of memory cost about £100.00 (relate that to inflation :eek:). Check out the price of a say 16GB usb stick now with 1 million times the capacity for just a few pounds.

A software encoder will require thousands of hours of development work and a super fast PC. The developers aint going to sell this to a limited market for peanuts (would you ?).

The dedicated cpu in your HD camcorder because of the millions that are sold costs the makers of the camcorder peanuts even though the cost of setting up the production line may cost 10's of millions.

How many have the hardware to even contemplate being able to burn blu-ray at around 50% higher bitrates than a standard 2D format requires.

In a year or so given enough take up of 3D you may see consumer level solutions, personally I think it's going to take glassless technology to get to this point and the capability to broadast this format for which we dont have the bandwith or the kit to recieve it.

Not sure why you are so opposed to SBS. Are the pictures so inferior to blu-ray using active shutter 3D TV's. I don't have a 3D TV but the few demos I saw of SBS with active glasses looked OK to me. You still get a full 1920 x 1080 image for each frame even if it's derived from a 960 x 1080 source. 1440 x 1080 2D HD is very hard to tell from 1920 x 1080.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom