1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I connect my laptop to my hifi?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by me love you, Aug 4, 2005.

1. me love you

me love you

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to be able to play the music I have on my laptop, and have the sound come out of my hifi.

I bought these connecting cables http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JD8W/026-8509635-3834027?_encoding=UTF8

it came today but this isnt working...ive connected it from the headphone jack on my laptop to the TAPE (MD) two slot inputs at the back of my hifi, the only spaces there are to connect something into, and i got that channel selected so MD comes up on the screen. so everything is connected up right to my hifi, i got music on my laptop playing, but when i put the plug in the headphone jack on my laptop, SILENCE!

i phoned up hama and the dude said that the signal from the headphone jack isnt powerful enough...? he said i buy some kind of adapter but he couldnt find it.

i spent nearly £12 on these cables! VAT!

are the cables i got not enough/the wrong ones? what do i need? i would appreciate any help i could get because i have no idea.

oohhh and at the back of my hifi theres a "CD OPTICAL OUT (DIGITAL)" since socket, which is like a black plastic flap, which doesnt look like a normal plug would go into!?

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    You got the right leads and that guy is talking crap.

You did make sure you connected to the 'Play' connectors of the tape loop? I.e. the input as the other will be a line out for the tape to record.

Easiest thing to do is swap it to the CD player (or some other input that works) and try that. Also make sure you have the volume turned up a lot on the PC.

3. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The above post is correct.

Another option would be to get some kind of USB sound card with an optical output, such as this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34128 and then connect that up with a standard optical cable. Most laptop soundcards are not very good, ie. mine picks up interference from the bus whenever you use the touchpad or hard drive.

There are probably better USB soundcards out there too.

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Err also I notice it was Tape MD - Are you sure these are not digital inputs, as MD is digital. If the two sockets are marked in red and white then you are ok. Try unplugging from MD and trying another to check. Don't use any sockets marked for LP inputs (that is from one of those prehistoric vinyl records should it still exist on your system)

Rajiv